Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
willfox1983
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Home WiFi connection poor, wifi icon keeps going grey.

OK, well I've been to down to the O2 store today (O2 is my network provider in the UK, for any Americans reading!).  They think it might be down to the SIM card, because when I upgraded to Blackberry, I used my existing SIM which was previously in an iPhone, and apparently the iPhone SIMs are different.  Whether or not this is true and will work, I don't know.  I'm waiting for the new SIM to activate, but as it stands, I can't connect to the internet, even with wifi connected, because the SIM doesn't work yet - which just proves that BIS HAS to be working to make the wifi work, which I repeat, is bloody ridiculous.

Oh and get this, my BB UNLIMITED tariff only includes unlimited email and browsing with BB browser, and use of Yahoo messenger.  Using maps or MSN messenger will be charged.  Truly unlimited BB service there then hey!  The more I discover these things, the more I'm getting fed up.  I love this phone, but there are too many things I have to 'make do' with, and that shouldn't be the case.  I've had this phone 6 days and already I'm regretting it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tschlaef
My Carrier: AT&T

Sim card, now there's an idea.  Think I'll get one too--how can it hurt?  Actually, I did see a post, elsewhere, about someone having data issues with their BB.  One replier suggested that the sim was not "provisioned" correctly.  I have no idea what that means, but at this point I'll try anything. Willfox1983, let me know how your new sim works out.

-Tom

Bold 9700 on AT&T OS 5.0.0.405 (Platform 5.1.0.112)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
willfox1983

[ Edited ]

OK, well I've had a new sim, and a new phone.  My internet is fine, and my service provider says everything is fine, and wifi is a separate issue (even though I've read all over the place that BIS and wifi are linked). Oh, and my wifi provider says there's nothing wrong either.  Guess what....it still doesn't work.

How is this possible.  This is the most ridiculous problem I have ever had with a phone.  If anybody is reading this, seriously consider if you're going to be using wifi, because if you are, I'd recommend not buying one.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tschlaef

This is ridiculous.  I stopped by Starbucks this morning to try another AT&T WIFI Hotspot.  It connected immediately and obtained BIS connection in less than 15 seconds.  Web pages loaded fast--really fast.  In short it worked flawlessly.  Tonight when I got home I turned on the WIFI; two hours later it finally established a connection to BIS.  Then I started the browser which tried to use WIFI but soon fell back to EDGE when the BIS connection dropped.  Pitiful!

-Tom

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tschlaef

Well, I just got off the phone with AT&T technical support and got the word straight from the horse's mouth--WIFI on the AT&T branded BB 9700 will only function at AT&T hotspots.  That sucks and I'm pissed (not drunk, angry :smileymad:)!  The only good thing about this is that I can stop beating my head against the wall trying to fix the problem.  Willfox1983, from your last post it sounds to me like O2 is doing the same thing. 

Now I have to decide what to do.  The same tech who gave me this news also told me that the 9700 won't play music over bluetooth by design, which is the other issue I have with this phone.  One of the main things I do with a phone is download and listen to podcasts over my bluetooth headset--not with this phone I guess.  It's too bad, I like everything else about this phone.

-Tom

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bajanbum
My Device: Bold 2 9700

hey guys was reading what you guys said at first. First and foremost you guys need to get on msg boards such as crackberry and not ATT tech support those guys know nothing. I purchased a bold 2 from AT&T on the 17th december took it back to my home country purchased an unlock code and it worked fine on any wifi network i put it on. with respect to the grey icon i think i finally figured out what that is, which is authentication to BIS. Once the icon is white all BB related stuff goes thru wifi instead of over the air (3G, Edge or GPRS). funny enought tonight in class with the wifi icon greyed out i disabled the cellular radio and funny enough i was browsing over wifi, only thing was BIS related features such as e-mail and bbm were available since my wifi icon wasn't white and thus connected to BIS. with respect to the bluetooth music playing i see the phone supports a2dp profiles and if the 8100 pearl which i had from 06 supported that i HIGHLY don't see RIM removing that feature right now..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tschlaef

Hey bajanbum thanks for the info.  I just ordered up an unlock code so I'll give that a try.  Did you also load different firmware?

I'll also check out Crackberry.  I've been meaning to do that anyway.

-Tom

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Toro20
My Device: Bold 9900

Hi guys,

first time in forum.

I am following this problem.

My experience says that the problem is coming when you update the BB Messenger.

I have got 2 new 9700 (OS 5.0.0.344 platform 5.1.0.96) and both working fine with different wifi connections in different location.

The problem just came after I updated the BB Messenger on both devices.

I am sure while updating the system is replacing some files that may affect the wifi.

Nothing to see with carrier and SIM, I bought my devices in Italy (Vodafone) and I am using them in Africa with 2 different carriers.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
willfox1983

OK, so my wifi worked perfectly yesterday when I connected to the wifi in my local pub. So I'm thinking it's my home wifi - but I don't understand, EVERYTHING else works absolutely fine on my wifi - my MacBook, my PS3, my iPhone, my girlfriend's laptop, her phone. Everything works on my home wifi except for my Blackberry, although my Blackberry seems to work at other wifi networks. What........the........hell.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
tschlaef

Glad to hear it works somewhere for you.  How long did you use it for?  I've had mine work for awhile then **bleep** out on me again.  I had mine going for about half an hour this morning using the hotspot browser.  It kept the connection but was really slow, slower than EDGE.

I successfully unlocked my phone this morning, but it had no effect on the problem.  I didn't really think that would solve it.  If AT&T has locked down WIFI I would imagine they've done that in the firmware.  I didn't mind spending the $20 to get the code as I think I'll be able to sell the phone for a higher price unlocked.  That just might be what I end up doing.

-Tom

Please use plain text.