Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How can I delete the sample videos on Bold 9000?

There are 2 sample videos under /system/samples/videos that are taking 73 MB.  I tried to delete them, but saw no

options from the explorer view (within the media player).   If these are taking up that much space in the 128 MB main flash, it is a huge waste and I need to get rid of them.  I am already dipping down under 20 MB free on occasion, and I have only had the phone for a couple weeks.   I don't have very many apps installed yet (just thinkMicro, Opera Mini, amAze, and BeamReader).   I am sure there are other apps that I will want to install going forward. 

Is there another file explorer that I could use, that has the privileges to delete these files? 

Thanks,

Dave

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: How can I delete the sample videos on Bold 9000?

Does the video have a lock symbol on it that shows you can't delete it? What choices to you get when you hit your menu button on the video?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

No lock symbol on the icon.

The menu choices are:

Help

Up

View Thumbnails

View Titles

Play

Play All

Play Folder

Properties

Send Using Bluetooth

Receive Using Bluetooth

Switch Application

Hide

Close

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

[ Edited ]

Checkout this utility called CrackMem

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackmem-v2-x-released-52044/

Or try going to Options | Advanced Options | Applications. Select the Sample Video, hit your menu button, and hit Delete.

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 11-20-2008 02:50 AM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

It looks like a good approach, but the latest version of CrackMem is not recognizing my device (or at least the version 4.6.0.167 that I have).    It reports that "no operating systems could be found".    It doen't recognize my wife's Curve either.  I will have to poke arround with it tomorrow. 

Solutions: 6,259
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Odd. I deleted my sample videos (speed racer, etc.) direct from the video menu. Highlight over the vid name, Menu > Delete.
>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

That works, interesting that I can do it from there and not the explorer view.   However, I can delete from media cards using explorer view.    Now for the bad news, that 70 MB made no difference in application memory.    Now I have to wonder where this /system folder actually is.   Is it a second partition on the 1 GB built in media storage?

Solutions: 6,259
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I personally would not use CrackMem, although it can be a good app for some users.

If you are more experienced and can follow directions clearly, though complicated, read this thread and see what you can do to remove unwanted items. 

On loading ANY OS to my BlackBerry, I routinely delete certain of the COD files before running the upgrade, and have had good experience withit.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/112029-losing-call-logs-sms-emails-opt...

>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

If anyone is having trouble with my program ChackMem then please would they post what the problem is over at CrackBerry and I will do my best to help them.

Version 3.0 had 1850 downloads so there is now quite a wide user base.

I developed the program more as a support tool than anything else although I find that I too have now abandoned raking around in the Java folder for anything other than finding the right files to incorporate into the next version.

I also welcome you knowledge and help.  I do not have every phone that RIM make and currently have an 8100 and an 8310.  Shortly I shall buy an 9800 but have no plans to buy a Bold (had one, took it back) or, a Storm (I do not care for touch screen phones).  I therefore need help and feedback to produce reliable releases for the phones that I do not own.

CrackMem is free and will remain so.