Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
orly_matzov
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: partner

How do I get rid of the false "New message" alert?

I've had a little icon alert telling me that I have a new message on my phone all day.i pulled the battery, I've checked every folder I can find and there is no message! When I do actually get a message it will tell me I have two, and when I check the new one it goes back to the same "1 new message" icon that will not go away. Is there any way I can get rid of this? 

help!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How do I get rid of the false "New message" alert?

This might seem like a stupid question, but please bear with me because we have to make sure we cover ALL bases.  When you pull your battery, is your phone powered on?  Having it turned off will do nothing.  I only ask because usually a battery pull will get rid of that notification.

Please post back with your response.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
orly_matzov

I did it all... Restarted the phone, pulled the battery, turned it off, marked prior opened, checked all the folders

.... And nothing :smileysad:(((

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

I suspect it's an app that you've installed that's sending you that message.  Why it doesn't appear in any of your  folders is beyond me.

I can't see this helping, but we have to try everything.  You'll have to go to each app you have installed and see if there's any kind of message waiting for you.  As I said, it's a long shot but one we should try.

If that produces nothing, perhaps reloading the OS might help, but let's try that last suggestion first.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
orly_matzov

do u want me to delet all the new apps that ive installed? can it be caused by some bb theme?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ

It could be a theme that is causing it, yes.  Likely?  No.  Possible?  Yes.

Deleting your apps is one solution, but I'm not sure it's the right one.  If you do, make sure you do a data backup with BlackBerry Desktop Software first so you can restore them with a couple of clicks if needed.

If you're sure you've checked EVERY folder and your battery pulls have yielded negative results, I'd be inclined to recommend an OS reload.  Many people would say it's overkill, but that's the course of action I usually recommend when all else fails.

Unless this needs to be done immediately, how 'bout holding out for a day or two.  Someone else might come along with a different idea that might work for you.  I just pretend to know everything, but really I don't.

Please keep us up to date with your progress.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
orly_matzov

well.... its not the apps and its not the themes :smileyhappy:

i guess that this yellow envelope and me are going to be best friends :smileywink:

anyway... i appreciat your help :smileyhappy:

thanks Bill!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
asteele
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

I had an issue which sounds similar to this which drove me nuts for a week...

I eventually tracked it down to an unread message that was in the "Saved Messages" folder...

Check your saved messages? :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
orly_matzov

I have non saved messages.... But when I go to the messages option, general options and I check the 'display message count' option as 'none', then my yellow envelope is gone but also my message counter.... So guess I really do have somewhere unread message but I don't know where....
Please use plain text.
Contributor
asteele
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Ah... well - my last suggestion is that you go into every menu item folder that you can find on your device and try to see which "app" has a little red star against it to indicate a new message.

I will keep some fingers crossed that you find something!

For me it was an unread message that I had accidentally "saved" - and since my "Saved Messages" folder was moved into an "Unused Items" folder - I did not come across it for a while... actually a friend found it for me after I had given up.

Please use plain text.