Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

codone
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Three

How do I get text messages off my BB on to a PC or MacBook and what is a .DAT file

Hello 

Question 1

I have some text messages I would like to save on to a PC or MacBook

I have tried using BB Desktop Software but it won't recognise my device when I plug it in

Any ideas?

Question 2 

A few weeks ago I typed my password in incorrectly a number of times and the BB reset itself and for security wiped itself.  I lost all my old text messages.  Any idea how I can get those back?

Also, it emailed me a .DAT file - would the text messages be recovered in there?  What on earth is a .DAT file anyway?

Thanks for your help

Codone

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How do I get text messages off my BB on to a PC or MacBook and what is a .DAT file

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

codone wrote:

Question 1

I have some text messages I would like to save on to a PC or MacBook

I have tried using BB Desktop Software but it won't recognise my device when I plug it in

Any ideas? 

First, you need to get your BB recognized by your computer...see this thread:

I suggest this thread:

You probably need to do steps 1 thru 7, but you probably don't need to do the drastic things within step 2 (just the first bullet item, probably). There is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Beyond that...please provide further details..."won't recognize" is a bit sparse to do, at our internet distance, any good diagnostics.

After your BB and the Desktop Software are communicating, you need to perform a backup of your device to your computer:

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

Then you need to seek out (via Google) a PC-based app that can parse the resulting BBB or IPD file (depending on which version of the Desktop Software, the file extension of the backup file will be one of those). Many of those can not only present the information in human-readable format, but also extract it for your separate use. The BBB/IPD file itself is not human readable...it is of a proprietary format, intended to be the source of restore to a BB. Any other use requires a 3rd party app (and they do exist).

For your purposes, refer to this to find the exact information you are seeking:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

You only need the databases you need...so you can either perform a full backup and extract (via that 3rd party app) just what you need, or you can perform a selective backup of only the database(s) you require.

codone wrote:

Question 2 

A few weeks ago I typed my password in incorrectly a number of times and the BB reset itself and for security wiped itself.  I lost all my old text messages.  Any idea how I can get those back? 

Data wiped from a BB is gone for good. Recovery depends on having a source of the data, which would have been a backup conducted a) after the things you wanted resided on your BB and b) before the WIPE happened. If you did any backups during that time, then those may be available to you for restore. If you did no backups, well...there is an old saying:

• There are two kinds of computing device users -- those who have lost data, and those who will

Backups, like insurance, are neither a reactive nor an optional activity.

codone wrote:

Also, it emailed me a .DAT file - would the text messages be recovered in there?  What on earth is a .DAT file anyway? 

"it"...what is it? Depending on what this is, you may have a different misconfiguration elsewhere. For instance, if these are "ETP" messages, then there indeed likely is a misconfiguration somewhere. But the sequence of events will be important -- as in, have these always arrived? Or did they start arriving after the WIPE?

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
codone
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Three

Re: How do I get text messages off my BB on to a PC or MacBook and what is a .DAT file

Thank you very much

I will get working on your suggestions soon

Much appreciated

Regards

david

Please use plain text.