Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
yadegbesan
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Airtel

How do i change my device password from the Blackberry Desktop manager

My blackberry bold 9900 fell into water and since then some of the letters on the keyboard are not working (about 3 letters). The device however seems ok but i can't unlock it because one of the letters of my password happens to be one of the keys that is not working. Is there a way i can change the device password through connecting to my blackberry desktop manager on my pc? or is there any other solution for me to unlock and access my device?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How do i change my device password from the Blackberry Desktop manager

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

REMOVE YOUR BB BATTERY NOW!!!

Run, don't walk, to this article:

Do everything it says, including waiting the maximum recommended time (and maybe longer...perhaps 5 days). Applying power to your BB (as you have already done) between it getting wet and doing this process reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

There is no way to change your device lock password except on the device itself. You can connect to your computer, however, and get a full backup of your device (and, IMHO, you definitely should do this)...information about backups is here:

Given your situation, you might want to get this backup before you do the rice trick...you may be in a very short window of time where your BB will function at all...internal corrosion could be proceeding, and if it goes far enough, your BB could be rendered useless at any moment. But, again, there is no way to predict an outcome.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
yadegbesan
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Airtel

Thanks a lot. I've backed up the device and followed the steps in the article. It's now in the bowl of rice and I plan to try again on Wednesday...wish me luck!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.