Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How secure is the wipe feature on BlackBerry devices? Should I be worried?

Before you start reading, please understand that I am a security freak and would like other security gurus to help me out with my dilemma. I'm new to BlackBerry phones, but not a newbie in the whole tech scene. The bold paragraph includes the questions that I really want to know more about.

Okay here it goes. I came from an original iPhone and with OS 1.0 we couldn't do secure wipes. We actually had to fill up the drive with music and videos so that it would overwrite any information. Had to do this many many times (5-10x times) too, because just filling it up once wasn't enough to write over data. But with 2.0, Apple made it to where you can have the iPhone do a secure erase by having it write zeros on the drive. It took a while (1 hour or so), but it got the job done.

Well, I've grown up now and I've moved to the BlackBerry platform. I started out last year with the Bold and will be moving to the Curve 8900. But before I do, the wife wants me to sell the Bold first. But before I sell it, I want to secure wipe everything on it. All the DIY guides say to go into options>security>and wipe the device and type the word "blackberry". Great! Now I know how to do it.

But what I want to know now is how secure is this method of wiping? Can someone, if anyone, restore my contacts, passwords, or anything that was stored? Should I do to the Bold what I did to my original iPhone and fill it up with data and wipe the device 5 times or so? 

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: How secure is the wipe feature on BlackBerry devices? Should I be worried?

Wipe is a secure action.

I am not aware that someone can restore information after device memory has been wiped.

Check this link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05099

Solutions: 6,112
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

If you do the security wipe you will be fine.

You can also wipe the OS and reload (more similar to PC hard drive  reformat).

And then, run Memory Cleaner, which will write and re-rewrite non-data to the memory.

You will be very safe.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

And here's the link to the RIM KB that discusses what the WIPE does:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16307&slic...

It also has links at the bottom to more documents. I'm not sure if those go to the detail you are looking for, but that's the extent of the published information.

And I concurr with the others...your security concerns are valid and will be satisfied by the WIPE actions that RIM provides. RIM is first and foremost a security-driven device and OS. Otherwise, POTUS would never have been allowed to have one. It may well be that, to maintain high security, the specific answers to your questions cannot actually be given as that, in itself, would be a breach of the security protocols.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all so much for the insight. I didn't know that RIM means business when it comes to BlackBerry security. I guess this is why they are #1 in the business sector. Anyway all of those links helped tremendously. I'm just going to do a standard wipe w/ third party apps and then run the memory cleaner. Once I install the Desktop Manager, I'll reload the OS and delete all the apps I've installed.

Again I can't thank you all enough. You've all put me at ease.  

Kudos to all of you.

Message Edited by aucheros on 06-27-2009 05:36 PM
New Contributor

Hi, Your answer was very helpful to me as well(kudo given), and I'm hoping you can expand a little further, and that this is the correct way to do this. I have not posted/tagged, etc. here much at all even though i have been a BlackBerry user since the very first Curve Sprint offered(3yrs?). I have a Bold currently and am up for renewal on the 2nd. I have no idea what phone I want!!!! Anyway, before I do a security wipe(i will be giving the Bold to my stepson), I need to remove all my content, inc contacts, saved emails, memos, pics and if possible internet bookmarks.There are "glitches" w/Bold such as duplicate contacts & pic folders(an enormous ammount). The media card has "issues" that i get error messages each reboot(which seem to be a common prob here). Anyway, sorry so long, but i thought best that the problems may hinder backups,. How can I save everything thats on my Bold on my computer(not just on the BB software)to be later installed on my future phone, even if its an Android? I'm having a very difficult time deciding between the HTC Evo, the Samsung Epic, or waiting for Sprint to get the BB Torch(ive never had a touch time choosing lol!!) thanks for your help

Solutions: 6,112
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

1. You currently have a 9000? That 's the section you've posted in...

2. You won't get ALL of your data, applications, etc., from your BlackBerry to your new (whatever you choose) device. BlackBerry applications won't be compatible with Droid or HTC.

Data, yes.

So, do several things...

sync to Outlook, if you do. All your calendar, contacts, memos and tasks will sync.

backup your device, using Desktop Manager

use an online sync service like www.miqLive.com, sync your data up, and when you get a new device, hopefully miqLive.com will be compatible with that new device.

But most of your questions can't be answered until you device what device you're getting.

For your current device problems, all those are fixable if you want. You didn't ask how, but...

Read this on how fix the Media Card (courtesy of John Clark, another expert here in the Forum):

1. Removed the Media Card from the device and put in a card reader. This makes the rest of the process much quicker. However, you can do it with the card in the device.

2. Copy the entire contents of the card to your PC.

3. Put the card back in the device and go to Options >Media Card >Menu key >Format Card. This will wipe the card and reformat it. (if using a card reader remove the card and put it back in the reader.)

4. Now copy back JUST the media to the device. Do NOT copy back any "BBthumbs.dat" files or any system files. I went through the entire folder and deleted every .dat file before copying the contents of the music folder and pictures folders back to the device. The device will recreate these files. Also, I didn't copy the actual "music" folder but rather just copied the contents and pasted in the card's \Blackberry\music folder. Do this for each folder.

5. When finished put the card back in the device and try the Media App again. It should scan for music. If you have lots of music it can take 5-10 minutes. During scanning you can open the Music app and you should be able to see the songs moving around in the list as the device scans

If after transferring all your files back you still get a stuck scanning bar or device reboots then you have a conflicting file on the card. I've seen video files do this but it could be a music file too or (less likely) a picture file. Remove all the files you transferred and see if the reboots stop. Then add back each folder one at a time to see if you can narrow down to the folder that's causing it. Once you find the folder then you can narrow down to a particular file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates

Hi,

I did a wipe on my BB Bold 9000 and did a final check before I handed to another co-worker to be used as his device, and discovered that much to my disappointment the videos that I created were still on the device.  Anyone know of a better way to wipe that gets all videos as well?

Thanks!