Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
chris2013
My Device: 9790

How to dis-associate a blackberry id to a phone

Hi,

My wife has a bold 9780 and I have bold 9790. We want to upgrade our bbm to version 7 to take advantage of the bbm voice.

This is what I did last night to our bb phones. I backed up my wife bb using the bb desktop app and have to upgrade her blackberry world before I could down load the latest bbm v 7. It then asked for a blackberry id. So, without knowing the risk I was attempting to do, I used my blackberry id onto her phone. As a result, it restored all my bbm information (contacts and groups) onto my wife. At this time, her bbm contacts and groups are mixed up totally. In fact, it treated my wife phone like the my phone. It even has my picture and name on her bbm. It also went on to reinvite everyone including her and my contacts and groups.

At the mean time, I also have installed the bbm v7 onto my phone. I returned to bbm and entered my blackberry id.

It restored my bbm including all my wife contacts and groups too. It also went on to reinvite everyone as well on my phone.

Thus, my wife bbm and mine have the same bbm configuration. I need to return both our bbm to our original configuration.

In attempt to resolve this major issue, on her phone, I changed my blackberry id username to her email address and deleted the blackberry world app and blackberry id. I used the new username to reinstall but again, it restored the mixed bbm.

I also used bb desktop app to remove bbm application on her phone and restored her phone from the backup. It doesn't fix the problem.

On my phone, I created a brand new blackberry id and again, that don't resolve the issue as well. I didn't aware of the association of a blackberry id to a phone until I ran into this issue.

So, could you advice me on how to restore our bbm so that my wife bbm can be returend to her original bbm configuration and using the old blackberry id that I have changed to her email address. As on my phone, I can use the new blackberry id with my original bbm configuration. I think it is essential to do the pairing correctly right now so, I can avoid this major issue in the future.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Chris

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: How to dis-associate a blackberry id to a phone

Hello chris2013

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Sorry to say .. But you already messed up everything . You should have asked someone for help   :smileyhappy:

Now I have two questions , Do you have a Backup of both of your devices ?

Also have done a local backup on both device of your BBM Contacts before updating to version 7 ?

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chris2013

I have a backup for both phone but not on local backup on the phones.

Chris

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

chris2013 wrote:
but not on local backup on the phones.

Hello chris 

Actually I asked if you did a backup of your BBM contacts locally on our media card or with any email before updating to BBM7 ! 

If you have a backup of both of your devices then you can try this again. 

First confirm that you're able to login here Sign In to BlackBerry ID using your old BlackBerry ID and password , do the same for your wife . If you're are successful then next step you have to perform a Security wipe on both of your device , refer to this Knowledge Base for help :

KB14058 : How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

After performing a Security Wipe first on your device login with your own OLD  BlackBerry ID then restore your backups from your Backup files that you already have , setup everything then open BBM and first confirm it that you have your BBM contacts back  Or restore your BBM contacts locally

KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

After having your contacts you can now update your BBM to higher version , To update BBM use your BlackBerry browser and browse to www.blackberry.com/bbmdownload and download the most recent version . restart your device . Open BBM and login with your own  same OLD BlackBerry ID .

Repeat the same process on your wife's device .  

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chris2013

Hi prince2012,

Thank you for the information.

I have tried these steps several times. Unfortunately, the results are not as expected.

My wife bbm still got my contact listed on her bbm and I still have her contact listed on my bbm.

After I restored her bb from the backup, the blackberry id app is still listed in Third party Applications

and it would not let me remove it at all.

Is there a way to remove this blackberry id app? What I want to do is to remove it and then restore her bb from the backup.

After that, I would sign a new blackberry id for her. Hopefully, this would get her bb in shape again.

Question: Could you tell me what are the contain of the backup file that was done thru the bb desktop app?

The backup file doesn't seem like an image file of the bb. It is more like only a certain system files got backup.

Best regards,

Chris

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hello chris

You have to confirm a few things first .

Are you able to login to BlackBerry Id website using each old BlackBerry ID ?

Have you performed a security wipe on your wife's device before entering her old BlackBerry ID ?

chris2013 wrote:
Question: Could you tell me what are the contain of the backup file that was done thru the bb desktop app?

The backup file doesn't seem like an image file of the bb. It is more like only a certain system files got backup.

If you perform a full backup of your device then that backup file will contain everything , all user data within that device. You can't access those file those backup unless you use any third party software , those backups are meant for restore purpose .

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chris2013

Hi prince2012,

Yes, I was able to login with the old blackberry id on the website and I also did the security wipe.

But, I don't have to enter her old blackberry id cause it was already there. I can't remove it totally from the 3rd party software.

Best regards,

Chris

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hey chris

If we perform a security wipe within our device it will remove everything related to any user including BlackBerry ID . So can you confirm while you performed a Security wipe have you included Emails , contacts and User Installed application ? 

I look forward for you reply .

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chris2013

Hi prince2012,

When I did the security wipe, I didn't include emails. Could it affect from removing the blackberry id?

Nonetheless, something strength happened to her bb on Friday evening. it warned her that she could not do the upgrade and a pop-up message indicating that she needs a the latest bbm version for the bbm id.

At that point, I have her assigned another brand new bb ID and now she has that brand new bb id on her phone. I am going to do a new backup of her phone and hopefully, this would at least fix her bb with her own unique bb Id, instead of mine.

You have been great and we want to thank you for all your efforts in helping us to resolve our bb issues.

Best regards,

Chris

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hello chris 

Well I sorry to know that you're having this problem for so long ! 

You don't need to create a new BlackBerry ID again and again , as I told on my previous post while performing a Security Wipe you'll have to include everything including your email , Contacts , User Installed application otherwise  it will not remove the BlackBerry ID username or the email that you already associated on your wife's device .

chris2013 wrote:

When I did the security wipe, I didn't include emails. Could it affect from removing the blackberry id?

Yes it will definetely affect !

chris2013 wrote:

Nonetheless, something strength happened to her bb on Friday evening. it warned her that she could not do the upgrade and a pop-up message indicating that she needs a the latest bbm version for the bbm id.

Currently most BlackBerry application ( like BBM , BlackBerry World ) requires the latest version of BlackBerry ID software . And you have to update your BBID software to use recent version of those apps . 

But first do as I said earlier , do a complete wipe on your wife's Bold 9780 before entering her old or new BlackBerry ID username or email to resolve this issue .

let us know if you feel any issue .

Please use plain text.