Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
andresolivaresf
My Device: Z10

Re: How to set default browser to WiFi on Bold 9700 OS 6?

Guys I am experiencing the same problem you did. I tried both of your suggestions but none worked. I have a different message when I try the explorer with any of the bookmarks I have. The error message is unable to find the requested server. I did a test with my wife torch. I turned off the mobile network and with her phone I was able to connect to the internet and send BB messenger messages.

Can any one help?

done84
My Device: Bold 9700

Try installing the mobile version o Opera Browser, maybe its a bug just in the dfault browser.

New Contributor
chrisalive

Bill J - you seem to be an expert based on the number of posts you've made, so I'm hoping you can clarify something for me. In your response to RogerCanuck you said that the network connection must be on in order to access the internet via WiFi. Is this new for OS6? I recently upgraded from OS5, and this wasn't an issue. I was able to connect to the web via WiFi with no carrier plan (I had canceled my plan with T-Mobile to use a different phone, so there has been no carrier network connection for several months). However, when I upgraded to OS6, I started having the same problem as RogerCanuck. Is there any workaround you are aware of? I like using my Blackberry as a mini mobile web browser, for checking and responding to email, etc. without have to lug my laptop around - or invest in a pricey tablet.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,981
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Chrisalive, 

What you stated as to how you operate and browse on WiiFi only is normal. OS 6 will detect and use the WiFi browser. 

If your new OS6 release doesn't allow WiFi browsing, what's the exact release number?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
chrisalive

Hi J,

Thanks for your response to my question. Since I upgraded to OS 6, I can get a connection to my home WiFi, but when I try to pull up any bookmarked page I get a splash screen that says "Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If the problem persists, plese contact your service provider."

In answer to your question, my release number is "6.0 Bundle 3049 (v6.0.0.706, Platform 6.6.0.246)"

I welcome and appreciate any help you can provide!

Best,

Chris

JSanders

Okay, so if you just type in a URL, you connect okay?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
chrisalive

HI Jsanders,

No. No matter what I do, I cannot call up any web page. Even though I have a WiFi connection. Any ideas of a solution?

Thanks again!

Chris

JSanders

I really don't know. It should. 

I don't recommend OS6 on the 9700. 

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
chrisalive

HI JSanders,

Understood. Do you know where I can get OS5 and reinstall it? I don't have a carrier account.

Thanks again,

Chris

JSanders

1. Delete the newer OS from your PC by going to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs. (If you never physically installed the OS to your PC, skip to step 2.)

2. Then download and install the older version of the OS. 

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4

3. Install the older OS to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
5. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

Knowledge Base Updates