Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
chrisalive
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: None

Re: How to set default browser to WiFi on Bold 9700 OS 6?

Thank you SO MUCH for your help, J! I do apologize for all of the questions. Hopefully this will be the last one:

When I click the download link you provided, it takes me to a site to download for ATT customers. I was a T-Mobile customer though I no longer have an account. Is the OS 5 ATT software optimized for ATT-modified hardware? Will it cause a problem if my Blackberry is T-mobile modified?

Also, in my Add/Change programs listing, there is only "Blackberrry DESKTOP Software 6.1" and "Blackberry Device Software Updater." I assume this means I have not installed the device OS on my PC.

Thanks again!

Chris

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chrisalive
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: None

Hi J,

After considering your advice, and doing a little web research to find out which version of OS 5 I should download (it's 5.0.0.714), and searching Blackberry's site for that, I found some really easy instructions! Here they are - and they work:

1) Get the latest Desktop software (pulldown menu to right of Question Mark help button in upper right of home screen and select Check for Updates)

2) Plug in your device and let it connect

3) Under the Device menu, select Update

4) Select the "Other Versions"  button at bottom left

5) Click the box for version 5.0.0.714 (and unclick all others)

6) Click download and wait for it all to finish.

Thanks again for all of your help, J. You got me pointed in the right direction and kept me focused!

-Chris

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You can use any carriers software. Doesn't matter. I wouldn't advise to do were it not allowed. When you delete the vendor file as advised it removes all carrier specific settings or bloatware.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.