Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

sanjapatil
My Device: Bold 9700

How to set default browser to WiFi on Bold 9700 OS 6?

Hi,

I recently upgraded my bold 9700 to OS 6. I want to use WiFi as default browser. In OS 5 there was option to set the default browser. Is it possible to set Wifi as default browser in OS6? Can somebody help?

Thanks in advance,

Sanjay

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to set default browser to WiFi on Bold 9700 OS 6?

Sorry, there is no setting for this in OS6, as the browser will detect and use the hotspot for data for the browser if a WiFi connection is available.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
rodman2211

So there truly isn't a way around this?

I can't believe it'll even tell me i have no more data available when im actually hooked up to a wifi network so it's trying by default to eat data when i want it to go wi fi!

New Contributor
rogercanuck

Are you saying that I don't need to do anything, by 9700 will use available WIFI by default? I turn off DATA on my mobile network, have a WIFI connection, but when I select the browser it says, "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later".

What's up with that?

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

@rogercanuck, leave your network connection on when you browse via WiFi.  Your phone will only use the WiFi connection by default, but the network connection usually has to be active in order to use WiFi for most applications.  Don't ask me to explain......just go with it.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
matrixebiz
My Device: curve 9300

I have the same problem as you guys :smileysad: it will not use my wifi at work giving the same two errors that you guys are getting when turning off mobile or leaving it on and I have a curve 9300 OS6 :smileysad: Any ideas?

New Contributor
rogercanuck

Tough one. Did you go back and read the previous posts? That keeping the Network Connection "on" was key for me.

done84

I have the same problem. WIFI does not work on the default browser when for exemple my data plan expires, but everything else does: the email, the facebook app, BBM etc... =(

New Contributor
matrixebiz
My Device: curve 9300

Got it to work now :smileyhappy:

After talking to my provider and we still couldn't get it to work he recommened connecting to an Open network as that would fix some of the service books that needed to be downloaded as he had no way of forcing them. So I went to the McDonalds and was able to connect to their open wifi connection just fine, then I went back home and tried to connect back to my secure wifi and it is working now.

Hope this helps

done84

I got it to work too. but in a diferent way.

Before if i use any of my bookmarks that are already set by default by my carrier (in this case its Vodafone) I would get the error, and even if i manually typed google.com for exemple in the browser it would no work, but then i went to the browser options and set google.com as my homepage, hit the homepage button and like magic it worked... dont ask me why but it just did. hope it helps.