Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Dankuccino
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers

How to tell if a text is read?

How can I tell if someones read my text? I know you can tell on bbm, but if it's possible I'd like to know how to do it with sms messages too.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
habbitzz
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: N NetCom

Re: How to tell if a text is read?

You can't see if the text has been read as far as I know, but you can see if it has been delivered!

Go to your text inbox, hit the BB button and enter the Options - Text Messaging, and under SMS you tick the Delivery Report option so it is turned on. You will get the D for delivered like in BBM but not the read confirmation. Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dankuccino

When i go into my options, there's a section for notifications. There the options are "Allow Delivery Confirmation, Allow Read Confirmation, Confirm Delivery, Confirm Read". I have all of them checked off but there's no change that i could notice...
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
habbitzz

Above that, but you're in the right settings! Just under the SMS heading you should see "Delivery Report" where you can tick a box. Take a close look and I think you will see it.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Office_BB_Guru
My Device: Z10 on Verizon; 9700 OS 5.0 on T-Mo and 9650 OS 6.0 on Verizon; PlayBook 2.0

I experimented with this ... after ticking in all of the settings, I sent a series of text messages (to clarify, not using BlackBerry Messenger), and the only indication the text message was sent is the check mark beside the message.  This would be a helpful feature for me to have as well ... further instruction most welcome! 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
habbitzz

I did just like I said in my previous posts, and I get a D inside the check mark just like with BBM. But I can't see if its read, only delivered. But this might have some to do with the carrier also, I don't know. What phones are you guys using?
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Office_BB_Guru
My Device: Z10 on Verizon; 9700 OS 5.0 on T-Mo and 9650 OS 6.0 on Verizon; PlayBook 2.0

Success on my side!  I believe it took Verizon an hour or so to sync this setting with my device (see list under my user name).  New text messages I send to other VZW subscribers do have the "sent" check mark with a small D inside the elbow of the check mark.  However, no little "D" appeared beside a text message I sent to an AT&T subscriber. 

I turned on this feature on my T-Mo device, however it might not work due to BES restrictions.  Maybe four minutes isn't long enough to wait ... this tells me that this feature may be wireless provider-specific.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Dankuccino

Bold 9780!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
habbitzz

That is OS7 right? If it is I think it should be like I say. Maybe you provider don't allow it? Check with them and see what they has to say!
Please use plain text.