Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
ncg61
My Device: Not Specified

I love my new BB Bold! I do have a video capability question(s):

I have an issue and two questions related to such, but first a few comments:

I absolutely love my new Blackberry Bold.  I had some issues early on but one by one as I learned the phone (I never had a cell phone before), it became clear that the issue was me not the Bold.  As I learned that whats and wheres and hows, everything began to work great; and I love how easily and well the thing syncs with my desktop whenever I connect it up with the USB cable and my computer, usually once a day at least.  All my Outlook 2003 features (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memos) sync great; I also loved discovering you can change the selected features that are accessed via the left side and right side convenience key (I made them my Calendar and my Tasks, and what a convenience).  I also love the call log which allows me to identify who called, whether they left a voicemail message or not, so I can decide if I should check voicemail immediately or wait till later.  I could go on but I'll spare you, other than to add that I just bought the little desktop travel charger, and though I initially wasn't going to, the $25 or so that I spend has turned out to be well worth it for convenience at home.

I do wish the Bold, or likely any cell phone for that matter, would simply allow storage and viewing of any video file format, but alas, it appears they do not (though I can view many more via the browser and using bookmarks than I can actually store and view from a saved file).  Specifically in regards to the Bold there are only three, apparently now four, file format extensions that are useable for storing and viewing stored files.  These are .3GP, .MPEG, .WMV, and now apparently also .AVI.  I had downloaded some .flv (flash video) skiing clips to my desktop from Utube, but could never get them to work or even show as available on the Bold after trying to sync them.  I still have to figure out how to readily be able to convert from one format to another acceptable one, and ideally be able to do so both on my computer for later transfer, or on my Bold directly.  Can anyone provide insight and or help with this issue?

My other video related question has to do with clicking on the IBD TV intra-day video clips available on investors.com.  The website pulls up great on the Bold; I can zoom in to individual articles or columns for my 40 something weakened eyesight to more readily read; but when I click the View Video or IBDTV links, just a black box appears, looking like it is ready to view but never does no matter what I try.  Any ideas, or help?

Thanks.  I strongly recommend this phone for those interested in it.

P.S.  The white trackball did stop working after about a week of heavy use right after my purchase the day after it became available here in the U.S. back around early November, but I brought it into the retail outlet where I bought it, they confirmed the problem, and right there swapped it out for a brand new one, and made the online account adjustments for me.  The replacement continues to work superbly.  On a different matter, I have been using Zone Alarm security software for years now, but for some reason it recently began to interfere with my ability to access this supportforums website.  I just uninstalled the Zone Alarms product this evening since my product expired yesterday, and installed a free thirty day trial of Kaspersky internet suite 2009, and now I can once again access this great site.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ncg61
My Device: Not Specified

Re: I love my new BB Bold! I do have a video capability question(s):

Regarding using the Roxio media manager to sync/transfer and convert the .flv video clip format I referenced to one acceptable to the Bold, that did not work, at least it did not with the .flv extension.  When the pop up box that had the options appeared when I began to make the transfer from the desktop to the Bold, including whether I wanted to convert, three of the four (or two of the three, I don't remember) options, of which conversion was included, were greyed out and I was not allowed to click them.  Maybe this is only a problem for .flv extenstion, I do not know.

My questions from my first post here remain.  Thanks for any help.  This is just a clarification.

Please use plain text.