Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 - STL100-1
My Carrier: Airtel (Karnataka)

In Call Recorder needed

Hi,

I am in need of an InCall recorder application to record some of my meeting calls. How can I do it on my Blackberry Bold phone. Any leads will be of help.

Thanks in advance.

Vasuki

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: In Call Recorder needed

As far as I know, there is no app that allows you to record a call in progress.  You can't do it natively on your phone, either.  With call recording being illegal unless the caller is aware of it happening (in most countries, anyway), I don't see any being developed anytime soon.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650 v 6.0.0.415

I too wanted to be able to record incall conversations and posted a string of questions and voiced my total and utter disgust upon finding out "you can't record in call" conversations (or your own voicemail) with a BlackBerry, back in Jan/Feb 2011.  I say with complete confidence as to the accuracy of  "There are no "official blackberry" apps that allow you to do it."   I am sorry to say I have not found any 3rd party apps that work either.

I understand RIM view this as a security issue. Fair enough.  There may be legal issues as well.  (I am assuming you are in U.S).  Perhaps you are already aware there are laws governing "intercepting calls" and in certain situations it is illegal to record conversations. I think It is safe to say that as long as all party's agree to being recorded there shouldn't be any legal issues.

I have obtained a small digital recorder.  I either set it alongside my BlackBerry which I put on "speaker" or use a flexible microphone (off a headset I have) connected to input on recorder (I can loop it over the top of my ear and next to the phone) and these work well enough for my purposes.  It isn't as easy as my old "dumb phone" but it works.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news. Maybe someone else has found a third party app that works.

New Contributor
My Device: 9300 Curve 3G
My Carrier: Koodo

In Canada, only 1 of the parties needs to consent to a call being recorded.  In other words, the party that wants the call to be captured usually.  See Canadian Criminal Code under "Interception", Section 184 (1) and (2).

There are now many devices, and pc based apps that exist to record incall audio.  However, that doesn't help you when you are in the middle of the street waiting for a bus when a call comes in you would kill to record and the extra hardware you need was left at home.

I own a small company in Ontario, a very small company, we have just completed a solution to record incoming calls, outgoing, and calls already in progress and be able to access them securely via a web front end.  We're just putting together the finishing touches.  But I can tell you it works, it is device independant and the cost is reasonable per month.  I don't feel really good about advertising like this or if it allowed, but I did feel compelled to address your queston.  The answer is 'yes'.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

@Mindsyte, it might say that only one of the parties needs to consent to the call being recorded but that party has to be the one originating the call. So if I call you, you need my permission to record the call and therein lies the reason why such apps are not around.

Cheers. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: 9300 Curve 3G
My Carrier: Koodo

Well, there are apps now out there.  Rogers is said to have a service that does just that, although unconfirmed, and there are 3rd party services in the US operating as we speak.   And, of course, we now provide a new service in Canada.

184.2(c)(i) allows a service provider the priviledge to offer that service the way I interpret it.  And, while I may agree with you to an extent, I believe there is likely some 'wiggle' room a sharp lawyer could probably work in within that wording.  Even so, just because the originator needs to consent, does not mean the technology isn't there or cannot be used at least for originators who wish to have the call recorded.

There are also numerous USB and Bluetooth devices you can attach to your phone that will provide similar functionality if you are so inclined to carry a backpack with hardware around with you.

So, I wouldn't be so hasty to say "such apps are not around."

-Kind Regards,