Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
barryell
My Device: Blackberry Z10
Accepted Solution

Incorrect GPS Location Address

BB Bold 9780; OS 6.0.0.448

My GPS seems to be operating properly, but it reports the wrong address.

The LAT/LONG info displayed by the GPS is correct -- I confirmed that with Google Maps and through NAVTEQ.

The address shown on my BB for that LAT/LONG is off by abour 2 miles.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a place to report the errow?

Thanks

Super Contributor
habbitzz
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: Incorrect GPS Location Address

I think your positioning will be more accurate if you leave the map app on for a minute or so, the accuracy is depending on the number of satellites your device is connected to. Minimum is 3 for being able to position you and that will not be very accurate with a mobile phone, I think I have connection to like 16-17 satellites when I'm positioned to the meter. You can also try to update your position to get contact with more satellites, which can be done under Options --> Device --> Positioning settings, push BB button and update.
Contributor
barryell

Thanks Habbitzz,

Actually I'm connected to 8 satellites and the LAT/LONG retrieved is right on the money. My query was about the actual address reported by the BB.

The phone is telling me I'm at 156 Whatever Road, but I'm actually at 2340 Whatever Road. On the BB 9780, I view these at Options --> Device --> Location Settings and when I "Refresh Location" it gives me the same incorrect address.

Super Contributor
habbitzz
My Device: Bold 9900

That's what I tried to give a reply to. Anyway. Its the same with my 9900, but sometimes it gets adress right too.
I think a device dedicated to locating is prioritized up there in space and then more accurate...
BlackBerry Maps still normally pinpoints my location on the map, but it gives me the wrong adress to where I am. Maybe its just the way it is? Well well, I don't know hehe. Good luck!!
Contributor
barryell

Thanks for your thoughts -- I guess I'll just live with oit.