Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: 02 UK

International BBM use, HELP!

Hey,

I'm on O2 UK,
I pay £40 for unlimited texts and internet and have 900 minutes, the price of my blackberry bolt-on is included in that price.

I'm going on holiday next week, was wondering if using my bbm while abroad would mean extra roaming charges when I come back. I rang 02 and they '50/50' om it.
Wondering if anyone can help?
Has anyone  used bbm while abroad? Did your network charge extra?

Nobody seems to have a solid answer,

Also whats the alternative if you are charged? Will bbm still work if i use a local sim card while on holiday?

Many Thanks,

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: International BBM use, HELP!

Am confident ur bbm wil work at no extra charge.u can even stil leave ur local sim card in ur fone.all u have 2 do is 2 make sure ur blackberry is active as before travellin first.wot I mean is that u must have paid ur subsription bills or charges before travellin cos u might not be able 2 do that when u have left your country.as 4 makin fone cals with ur local sim,I guess dat is a roaming issue but it doent have anythin 2 do with ur bbm.ur bbm shud work fine.am talking from my own experience.
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Sorry seggy, you're incorrect.

BBM uses your BlackBerry Data plan to send the messages.  Accordingly, if you travel out of your country and into another carrier's range, you will incur data roaming charges.  What you need to find out is how much data roaming charges are.  You should also note that if you disable data to prevent emails and the such from coming through, you will also disable your ability to use BBM.

If you don't want to incur any extra charges, disable data altogether.  If you need to use your data for BBM, then double check with your carrier as to the data roaming costs where you are going on vacation to.  You can then decide if you want to use BBM.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

i think it depends on your carrier and how its set up with RIM, so its best to check with them.

and it'll also depend if your carrier is available to wherever ur travelling.

because I know with mine, atleast if i'm still in the country, BBM and SMS doesn't cost me any extra when roaming while data and talk is considered.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

That is correct, so long as you're in your carrier's service area, you will still get data at no additional cost.  The problem occurs when you roam on another carrier.  For example, I can go across most of Canada and use data at no extra cost (I have to pay long distance for any non-local calls, or for all incoming calls), but the instant I travel into an area where I'm roaming on Verizon (e.g. close to the Canada/US border or in the US, I pay for data roaming, meaning that I have to pay for things like BBM, etc., unless I disable those services.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

and also to be safe, there is a disable data when roaming option in the 9700

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Vodacom

This is an instance where only on demand downloading of email would be useful, which apparently not supported by BB at all (or so I have been led to believe.....still a BB newbie)

My Device: blackberry curve9380 touch
My Carrier: vodacom

I'm trying to bbm with my buddy in the USA,BT my messages won't go through.his messages I get.what's the problem?I have a blackberry curve touch.