Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
anthoj
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: International SIM card

My Bold has already been unlocked. I did it today via customer support. AT&T's been pretty good about unlocking phones for me in the past.
Contributor
anthoj

So I DO have to unregister and re-register?
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Ask ATT Customer Center, if they provided the unlock code, maybe you dont need register and unregister
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Contributor
anthoj

Ok I've just verified with a friend of mine in Indonesia. You DO have to unregister and reregister every time you change your SIM. BB Pins and IMEI is registered at each carrier's BIS. So, in order for data services to run on the current SIM card, your PIN and IMEI needs to be registered on the current provider's BIS.

Unlocking the phone will let voice usage on any carrier, but won't let you use the data services.

Kinda sucks that people have to do this..I think they want you to roam on your BB's so that you pay them more.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Contributor
anthoj

One more thing I wanted to add. Other countries use SMS services to register and unregister a device's PIN to different networks, which makes it a lot more covenient than the way it works here in the states. It's really inefficient having to call customer support every time u need to switch to another carrier.
New Contributor
donnagail
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

My husband and I are experienceing a similar problem I think. I have a BlackBerry serviced by AT&T.  He has a BlackBerry serviced by T-Mobile.  He is now in Kenya. He called T-Mobile before he left US to unlock the phone. When he got to Kenya, he purchased a SIM card from Safaricom and inserted it into his BlackBerry.  He has been sending me many SMS's which I've received.  However, every time I either reply back to one of his SMS's or send a new SMS to the mobile number, I get an Error message back that says "  Error Invalid Number.  Please re-send using a valid 10-digit mobile number or valid short code."   His number appears as **************.  I have also tried calling the number but it rings and rings.  Can you help?  Thanks.

EDIT: Removed personal information

Message Edited by Andy on 02-24-2009 12:24 PM