Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Is 7.1 still being updated by Blackberry?

[ Edited ]

I was just checking the recent revisions and came across this:

http://tmodc.hcac.com/9900/HandheldSoftware/HandheldSoftware.htm

Date is 3/28/2013 that's last week! That's pretty cool. 7.1.0.912

Side question: Is there any place I can get release notes/changes made from 7 to 7.1 and each (if not major) revisions.

Edit: Found this http://blogs.blackberry.com/2012/01/blackberry-7-1-update/

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Is 7.1 still being updated by Blackberry?

Hello,

Ride_The_Sky wrote:

I was just checking the recent revisions and came across this:

http://tmodc.hcac.com/9900/HandheldSoftware/HandheldSoftware.htm

Date is 3/28/2013 that's last week! That's pretty cool. 7.1.0.912

So, comparing your chosen subject line against this information in your post, I'm guessing you have your answer to this?

Ride_The_Sky wrote:

Side question: Is there any place I can get release notes/changes made from 7 to 7.1 and each (if not major) revisions.

Edit: Found this http://blogs.blackberry.com/2012/01/blackberry-7-1-update/

BlackBerry usuall releases major OS level release notes (e.g., 5.0 to 6.0, 6.0 to 7.0, 7.0 to 7.1). But, for non-major release notes (e.g., 7.1.0.184 to 7.1.0.256), the carriers hold the specific responsibility of release notes (since they hold the actual responsibility for OS release to end users...BlackBerry released no OS packages to any end users). Sadly, as with so many things that are dependent on from the carriers, many (most) don't bother with release notes.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ride_The_Sky
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Thanks, yes I found the answer to my question, however it did not really mean that OS7 is being supported by BB (RIM).The posted OS could just be a fix released by the carrier, or just adding some recently negotiated bloatware, but BB may not have updated, or may have stopped development/fixes on that older OS.

That's mainly what I wanted to know, does BB still support it, and actively work on it, or did they leave it as it is with the latest official version, and now focus soleley on OS10?

Is there any indication that BIS can be dropped anytime soon?  (bis.na.blackberry)

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Ride_The_Sky wrote:

Thanks, yes I found the answer to my question, however it did not really mean that OS7 is being supported by BB (RIM).The posted OS could just be a fix released by the carrier, or just adding some recently negotiated bloatware, but BB may not have updated, or may have stopped development/fixes on that older OS.

Nope. I've never heard of a carrier releasing any OS version all on their own; they always start with an original package from BlackBerry, and carry the 4 octet version number through as received from BlackBerry. BB releases candidate OS packages to the carriers, who then do their thing (test, certify, wrap with their custom stuff, etc.) and release to their end users (if the carrier approved it...if not, then that carrier just never releases that version).

Another possibility is a slow approval cycle by that carrier. I recall ATT taking months (almost a year?) to release any OS7.1 for the 9860 after other carriers had released it.

Without true "insider information" from both BlackBerry and the carrier, all we can do is surmise...but we cannot know 100%.

Ride_The_Sky wrote:

That's mainly what I wanted to know, does BB still support it, and actively work on it, or did they leave it as it is with the latest official version, and now focus soleley on OS10?

My opinion is that BlackBerry is continuing development for both OS10 as well as legacy. Consider...until they declare EOL for a specific device, they are required to continue to support it, which naturally includes releasing OS updates for bug fixes and such. So I'd expect, for all non-EOL legacy devices, that OS 7.1 releases will continue until the device is declared EOL.

Will there be anything beyond 7.1? Now that's an interesting thing to contemplate...and I don't recall reading anything official on the matter, and have no access to any insider information on the topic (and, if I did, I'd be restricted from releasing it anyway).

Ride_The_Sky wrote:

Is there any indication that BIS can be dropped anytime soon?  (bis.na.blackberry)

For legacy devices, I'd say never. To do so would require a complete re-write of their OS so as to provide the same services that BB10 now provides.

For BB10 devices, the information that has come into these forums indicates a mixture of results. Some users report their carrier telling them that they must not have BIS attached or some services will be impeded. Others report their carrier telling them that, while the carrier continues their necessary network reconfiguration so as to accommodate both BB10 and legacy, that the user with a BB10 device must keep BIS active, and can release it once the carrier completes their network reconfigurations. Other reports include services for both legacy and BB10 devices stopping, starting, stopping again, starting again, and so on...I suspect that this is a result of the carrier network reconfiguration activities.

Long term, BB10 devices do not use BIS, and so it is not needed...short term, each carrier must tell their users what is required.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.