If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Developer
sheran
My Device: Blackberry 9000 - Bold

Is it possible to clear the DNS Cache?

Hello all,

I was wondering if I was doing anything wrong in the following scenario and wanted some guidance.

I have a scenario where I change the A record of a specific host on my DNS server.  The DNS server runs on my Wireless Access Point and my BlackBerry Bold connects to this gateway through the Wireless connection.  The area where I have some difficulty is as follows:

I connect to the access point.  I am able to browse the Internet and use BlackBerry Messenger, so I know the connection is working.

To double check, I browse with my Mobile Network turned off.  Success here as well.

I then change my DNS entry in the gateway and clear my Bold's DNS Cache by using: Connections->WiFi Options->Menu->DNS Lookup->Clear DNS Cache.  I do a host lookup and the response reflects the new IP Address.

When I try to browse, however, my traffic does not route to the new address.  It still routes to the old one.  I have tried this with both Mobile Network On and Off.  The only workaround I have is to restart the device.  I am not too fond of doing that all the time, even with the convenience of the three-finger salute.  What I would like to do is find a way to clear the DNS Cache without having to restart.  I am contemplating on writing a small app to do this, but wanted to know if there was any other way I could do it first.

Thank you all for reading and especially for your advice.

Kind regards,

Sheran

Chirashi Security
Please use plain text.
Developer
myraddin
My Device: 9000 9810

Re: Is it possible to clear the DNS Cache?

Joining your effort.

Also had the same problem on Bold 9000.

Hope someone will provide a deeper insight.

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"
Please use plain text.
Contributor
EliasGraves
My Device: Not Specified

Any additional info here? I have a website that switched servers. Now, I'm getting a message that says I need to clear the dns cache. Can't figure out how to do that on the Torch.
Please use plain text.
Developer
myraddin
My Device: 9000 9810

Nope. had no luck with it.

Has been a looong time since then :smileywink:

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"
Please use plain text.