Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
kay_s
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
Accepted Solution

Is my Blackberry Bold 9900's battery dead?

So I've had this phone for about a year and a half. I'm on contract. Its been a couple of days and its been acting up.  I will have it fully charged and within 1-3 hours, the battery will reduce to 50% even with minimal use. I've already checked if I have any programs running in the background, and nothing. I also deleted any apps that I don't use, and that didn't help either. So I decided to restart the phone thinking that it was probably just a temporary glitch.  Well, when it turned back on, the battery was completely drained (according to the icon on the phone) it was the red battery with no bars.  So I went back and charged it and it immediately showed that their was still half battery left (it literally went from the red battery to a half white battery).

Everytime I have it plugged into the wall, it works fine and doesn't show any problems. As soon as I use it freely is when the issues occur. I've had to take my charger everywhere with me for the past couple of days.  What's going on with my Blackberry?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps. :heart:

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Is my Blackberry Bold 9900's battery dead?

kay_s wrote:

So I've had this phone for about a year and a half.

That's reason for concern right there.  A good smartphone battery will give you a year and a half to two years of dependable service depending on use, of course.  What we can do is eliminate it being a software-related issue.  Once we've eliminated that, all that's left is for you to go get a new battery knowing that yours is on its last legs.

I'd like you to plug your phone in to your PC and open BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Once your phone has connected, click Device at the top of the software then Restore.  Pick the most recent restore point and load it to your phone.  Once your phone has rebooted, see if the problem persists.  If so, go out and get a new battery (or better yet, a new BB10 phone).  If the problem corrects itself, then you're welcome.

Keep us up to date on your progress.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kay_s

Thanks for responding Bill. Unfortunately it didn't work. :smileysad: I think I'm going to have to go ahead and buy a new battery. Hopefully it is the battery itself that is causing the phone to die so fast.

Please use plain text.
ntho
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: CSL 1010

I have the exact same problem now. Did changing the battery work for your phone?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kay_s

Yeah the problem ended up being my battery. Bought a battery from eBay for $10 and it has been working fine since then, no issues with battery :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lili1217
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: sprint

I have a bold 9930 and I have exactly the same problem..I carry the charger with me at all times..I am waiting on a  new battery that I bought online..but I am afraid is not going to solve the problem since I switch batteries with a friend of mine that has exactly same phone and my phone kept doing the same thing..when switch back to hers,,battery worked fine on hers...My upgrade is not till November..darn it...I am hoping to stay with blackberry, but all this problems are fruastrating me..my email set up icon is not working either...and I have a circle with a cross on my screen..I have tried everything mentioned on this website and nothing has worked...hopefully the new battery will solve it...im keeping my fingers crossed.:Sweatdrop:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

lili1217 wrote:

I have a bold 9930 and I have exactly the same problem..I carry the charger with me at all times..I am waiting on a  new battery that I bought online..but I am afraid is not going to solve the problem since I switch batteries with a friend of mine that has exactly same phone and my phone kept doing the same thing..when switch back to hers,,battery worked fine on hers...My upgrade is not till November..darn it...I am hoping to stay with blackberry, but all this problems are fruastrating me..my email set up icon is not working either...and I have a circle with a cross on my screen..I have tried everything mentioned on this website and nothing has worked...hopefully the new battery will solve it...im keeping my fingers crossed.:Sweatdrop:

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given what you describe, I fear you may have wasted your money on a new battery. You properly conducted the battery-swap test, and the results ruled out your battery as causal, leaving only your BB as causal.

As to if it's hardware or software, that cannot be firmly determined by the information you've provided. Alas, even though you have "tried everything mentioned on this website", we've no way to interpret that and try to provide you with useful, yet not redundant, advice.

The process is one of trying different things to rule out, one by one, OS/software causes...when they are all ruled out, the only thing left is hardware. But, at an internet distance, that can only be a conclusion...not a diagnosis. A true diagnosis of a hardware issue can only be done by a qualified BB technician with the device in their hands.

If you wish to try more than you've already tried, here are some things you can attempt...

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

Please refer to this official download portal as you proceed. It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. After installing the OS package to your PC, please remeber to delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lili1217
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: sprint

THank you...my phone remained on the safe mode so I went and installed compatible data to my phone through my PC..it looks like that solved the problem...now my email setting icon is working now..now to see if my battery stays loaded...so far so good..thank you very much. :Clap:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are welcome.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.