Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Hero_IcePrince
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
Accepted Solution

Is there support for East Asian Languages for the Blackberry Bold 9780 on O2?

Hello, I hope someone will be able to help me with my problem. I am new to the whole Blackberry business as I only bought my first BB device a few days ago so please understand if I don't know what certain terms are in the Blackberry world. The questions will be in bold.

So I recently bought a Blackberry Bold 9780 and I'm very satisfied with the overall product. However I was wondering if there was support for East Asian languages (Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc.) for my BB 9780 which is on O2 UK.

At the current moment, in my languages options, I can only input mostly European languages (English, Spanish, French etc.) There are no options for East Asian languages at all. When I try to view any messages or go on the browser which have east asian languages, I can only see a set of black squares.

I know there are software updates in which you can update your device to support specific languages so I checked the sotware downloads page which interests me.

For O2-UK users, they has two packages:

- BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.905 (All Languages)

Package Version: 6.0.0.905
Consisting of:

• Applications: 6.0.0.294
  • Software Platform: 6.5.0.54
  • File name: 9780AllLang_PBr6.0.0_rel905_PL6.5.0.54_A6.0.0.294_O2_UK.exe
  • File size: 180.72MB
  •  

- BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.0905 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 6.0.0.905
Consisting of:

• Applications: 6.0.0.294
  • Software Platform: 6.5.0.54
  • File name: 9780jAllLang_PBr6.0.0_rel905_PL6.5.0.54_A6.0.0.294_O2_UK.exe
  • File size: 185.61MB

So how do I know which package I have currently installed on my device because the application number and software number are identical.

On my Device details it shows: v6.0.0.294, (Bundle 905, Platform 6.5.0.54)

So I am wondering if any of the two packages above have the option to enable east asian language support.

I'm pretty sure that I have the latest update for my device as I can not update any further according to the Desktop software and my phone. So if I were to switch to another package how will I go about doing so?

I primarily use a MAC but I can also get access to a PC too. I don't know if this matters but I think there is a difference between the Desktop Software on each computer which are used to update your software.

If it is possible, would I be able to download another package that has the east asian support from another service provider and update it onto mine? Or is it too risky as it may crash my device?

And my final question, so if there is no option for east asian language support now, would it be likely that O2 will provide it in the near future?

Sorry if I rambled on a bit too much or asked too many questions. I just really want to know if its possible to enable east language support as of now, otherwise I will be wasting countless of hours searching for a method. I searched to see if there were similar questions asked on the board but none were really specific to my needs.

A big thank you to anyone who sits down reads through this. I appreciate any answers given.

Thank You.

New Contributor
salamsjah
My Device: 9780

Re: Is there support for East Asian Languages for the Blackberry Bold 9780 on O2?

I'm looking for this issue for quite a while too...

Seems like no one knows how to add the input languages for East Asian Languages.

:smileysad:

New Contributor
chandy10

Re: Is there support for East Asian Languages for the Blackberry Bold 9780 on O2?

Not sure if you have figured out how to do this but I did these steps and it worked fine:

1. https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=7D2A383E54274888B4B73B97E1AAA491&dl=... go here and download the BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.0905 (Multilanguage) version.

2. Install the downloaded OS to your PC, you will need the files from this new OS later on to add multi language support to your BlackBerry device.
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9780AllLang_v6.0.0.294_P6.5.0.54
The CJK.alx is the file you will need to use later on.

3. Use Desktop Manager to backup your BlackBerry (better to be safe than sorry)

4. Before the installation, go to your AppLoader folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and move the Vendor.xml to a backup directory, so you have kept a copy of the file. Use the loader.exe to load up the AppLoader, follow the wizard.

It automatically gave me a list of applications and languages, if you scroll down you see East Asian Languages tick the ones you want I ticked Japanese and Thai under font support and languages. If you don't see these click 'Add' at the top and navigate to the CJK.alx file.

Then let the app loader do it's thing, after this everything should work.

Hope it works for you too. I take no responsibility for your phone bricking.

Blackberry should put in an option to install additionally languages via the phone.

Trusted Contributor
tmbold7055
My Device: Not Specified

Hi, I can help you out.

Please try to open the link below.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do

Or if you cannot open the link, try this

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Go to the [Asia Pacific] carrier site. I found the language pack support at [StarHub Ltd].

Find the device from the drop down menus and click on OK.

You will see the [Multi Language], 9780jAsia_PBr6.0.0_rel863_PL6.5.0.54_A6.0.0.285_StarHub_Ltd.exe

[j] in front of the Asia is very important key for downloading Japanese language.

Thank you

New Contributor
Hero_IcePrince

Hi Chandy10 and tmbold7055, thanks for responding to question. I'll be sure to try out the methods as soon as I have some free time. Thanks for offering help. Much appreciated. I'll get back to you guyz once I get to try out the methods. Thanks again.

New Contributor
Hero_IcePrince

Hey, Chandy10, thanks for the instructions. Works brilliantly. I followed exactly those rules and everything installed without any probelms. The east asian languages I wanted are all installed onto my device now. Thanks alot. I appreciate all the help you have given to me. Thanks again.

tmbold7055, hey thanks alot too for suggesting another method. Even though the other method worked for me, it might not work for others, so leaving your method here could help others too. Thanks anyway for taking your time to read my questions and responding.

badmandragon
My Device: Not Specified

Hey was jsut wondering, when you installed the files, did it reinstalled the operating system, or did it jsut add the languages on there?

New Contributor
chandy10

@badmandragon I installed my languages as soon as I got my phone so didn't pay a lot of attention, however I think you can untick the things you don't want to just leave the desired languages.
New Contributor
app14
My Device: Blackberry 9780

Hello, I've downloaded and installed the Software, but when I checked the C:\Program Files\Common Files (step 2) , there are no Research in Motion folder, What happened? thanks for answering my question.

New Contributor
chandy10

if you are on windows vista/7 64bit try checking program files (x86), or do a start menu search for common files. Hope that helps.