Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Trusted Contributor
DrFever
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900

Is upgrading to 9780 from 9700 worth it?

Hello all 9780 owners.

I currently have a 9700 and qualify for my upgrade. I don't want a Torch. Completely out of the question.

My question is, is it worth paying the $99.00 upgrade fee for the 9780 or shall I just stick around and see what Rim has to offer in the upcoming months?

Simple question but I'm torn on the answer. I'm looking from input from anyone who has made this move.

I know the 9780 comes with more internal memory, better camera and the pre-loaded OS6. I keep waiting for an offical OS 6 release for the 9700 but also have the concern that the less internal memory of the 9700 might slow the phone down anyways if I install it.

Looking for honest input. Is it worth the upgrade and then having to lock into a new contract? How long before you guys figure RIM wil upgrade their bold line yet again?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andrew_T
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780

Re: Is upgrading to 9780 from 9700 worth it?

Just got my 9780 and even though I didn't own a 9700, unless I needed the memory, I wouldn't upgrade unless I really wanted to have the latest BlackBerry.

Reasons why...

1) OS 6 is an improvement and it's much nicer than OS 5 but looking back, it's really not that much different once you start using it and you'll say to yourself why everyone was going crazy for OS 6 (that's just my personal opinion)

2) Memory could be a huge thing but that's only if you need it. I'll admit, having 512 MB of memory is nice but for my uses, I would be happy with 256 MB because I'm not an apps person so I rarely download/use any apps. RIM has improved on memory leaking so battery pulls are a lot less frequent.

3) This last one is probably why most would upgrade. Browser. Again, it comes down to what kind of user you are. Are you looking for a better browser experience? I've already accepted that BlackBerry's browsing experience is very average, even with the Webkit browser. The only time I use the browser is if I need to find something really quick and the browser in OS 5 (and lower) allowed me to do that.

If you really wanted to find out if the upgrade would be worth it, download one of the leaked OS's. I think you'll get a much clearer picture whether or not you think an upgrade is worth it.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I'm quite happy with OS6 and the browser is a big improvement over previous versions.

Keep in mind that an upgrade will lock you in for a minimum of two years, perhaps three.  Will something new come from BlackBerry that would interest you before those years are up?  I'm guessing probably yes, but that's your call to make.

Out of curiosity, why not the Torch?  Bigger screen, better browser, better all-round operating system and 95% of the functions can be performed with the trackpad and keyboard, should you not be interested in the touchscreen.  Something to think about.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Sudeep
My Device: Bold 9780

Absolutely Yes!!

I did it and I am so gald that I did.

I have more than 250 MB free after installing all my fav apps.

Browsing experience is definately much better.

The Phone is much faster.

5MP Cam is awsome.

and of course OS 6 rocks!!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DrFever
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900

Thank you all for the replies. I don't mind the contract.....can't avoid them these days anyways.

More phone issue. Its one of those things that always worry me.....the day I upgrade, the Bold 10,000 will be released!! (Lol). My carrier isn't even selling the 9700 anymore!

I've got 15 day return period on the upgrade. Might as well take it for a spin.

The torch is not for me. I'm always on the go as a self employed individual. Found the balance off. Always having to slide it would get on my nerves and I already know 3 people who returned their torches. I figure the 9780 is a sweet upgrade.....even if a Re-vamped Bold came out what more xould it really offer? More MP camera, more memory and faster processor? My 9700 is already fast.....the speed will help with OS6.

Tough call. Like I said.....gonna take the 9780 for a spin for 10 days and decide then.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Sudeep
My Device: Bold 9780

Rumors say that the next BB device is gonna be a storm type device with a full slider, showcasing an OLED screen.

Some Poeple say its gonna be called Blackhawk.

Any ways these may be just rumors!!

Good luck with your test drive.

Please use plain text.