Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
akadamikz
My Device: Not Specified

Issue/Question about Internet connection with Blackberry Bold

I am new to the blackberry device and do not have the data plan for my blackberry.  I have the bold and I am connected to my wifi at home, but how do I know that I am not on 3G?  I just want to be connected to my wifi connection. Thank you for any advice.

New Contributor
akadamikz

Re: Issue/Question about Internet connection with Blackberry Bold

I just checked the Services Status and under the Blackberry Internet Service it says not connected and my Wi-Fi network shows as active on the bottom of the page...does this mean that I am on my Wi-Fi network?
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

If you don't have any data plan and you don't download any third application ( like miniopera ) the only way to surf on the web is with the WiFi.

Without any data plan, you can surf ONLY with WiFi 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
New Contributor
Donald

I do not think that is true Urumilton. I have a similar problem to the OP but I will go a step further to say that when I disable the Data but not the wifi or mobile the wifi still appears to be connected but the browser/MSN etc won't connect to the internet. I have looked around and this seems to be a common problem and possible sneaky business approach. The device does have wifi, but the wifi is useless without using data. I would like a better answer as if I can't use wifi without data then this phone is going back.

I'd also like to mention that I have enabled hotspots login for the browser and this still does nothing without enabling the data (this was the most common response to this problem). 

New Contributor
Donald

After looking around some more the problem seems to be the BB can't connect (flawlessly) to all routers. There is a way to

reconfigure the router so that it does work but I haven't found it yet. 

New Contributor
akadamikz

Thank you for those who have responded.  I am not sure if my problem is solved, but I guess I will have to wait and see on my next month bill if I was charged any data usage.  Phone services are sneaky with their data usage especially AT&T so I guess the safest bet is to get data plan. Well, if anyone has an answer to my question or advice please still feel free to respond.  Thank you all again
Regular Contributor
chulap

You can surf the net with the Wifi without any data plan. I'm very certain of this. The 1st month I had my phone I was without any data plan and I can surf the net fine connected to my Wifi.

For the purpose of this topic, I removed my sim card and turned on my phone. I can still surf the net connected to my Wifi.

New Contributor
Donald

You can also turn your data off so you won't have to worry about it being charged.

Menu>options>Mobile network, Then switch Data services to 'off'. It won't effect texting or anything (except email when you're not wifi.

New Contributor
akadamikz

When I turn off the data, the browser won't even load with the WiFi.  Therefore isn't turning off the data basically just shutting off any data being transferred?
New Contributor
Donald

I am not really sure. I'd like an answer to that as well.