Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Jen27
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: 3 mobile

JVM Error 517 How to fix this???????

This appeared yesterday with a white screen, i have done the normal and taken the battery out but this hasn't worked and i have tried to update the software but it says there is no software update needed. What shall i do???

Please use plain text.
TheHedgeMaster
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell

Re: JVM Error 517 How to fix this???????

Check out this link, it worked for me two weeks ago when I had the JVM Error 517: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry 

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
leondrie
My Device: Blackberry Z10

I got the same problem. I tried to follow the instructions, but when i tried to connect the usb to the computer, USB UNKNOWN is not appearing but instead it  appears USB + PIN, i tried to click to see what happen but it says my device has no software installed. :-( 

Any help?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DaedalusWren
My Device: Pearl 8100 -> Bold 9000 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9930 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers Canada

Do you have Blackberry Desktop installed? If not first do that. Here is the link.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB06...

After installing the Desktop Software take a look at the next set of instructions by Krypto to have a great step by step tutorial on getting your phone up and running again.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S...

Failing this fixing your problem,  the next step I would recommend would be to Wipe the phone totally clean and re-install the OS. The steps to do this and a couple of files to accomplish this can be found here...

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

Please back-up your phone first with Blackberry Desktop and try to avoid restoring your settings for a day to see if the phone with only the OS works fine. If it does you can try restoring your backup and hopefully it will still continue to work as it should. If it starts up with the locking/unlocking after your backup in restored, you can narrow the problem down to your personal data which must have a glitch in it.

NOTE: If the programs fail to connect to your phone, shut them down, open your Task Manager and make sure that all the files running with RIM or rim in the title are shut down and restart the wipe program, it should work then.

Hope these help.

Remember, There is never a stupid question, just stupid answers.

("If any advice that was offered by me helped, Please click on the Thumbs up on the post or click Accept as Solution. Thanks and it was nice to help you out ")

Please use plain text.
Contributor
leondrie

Well, I realized that my phone is still covered with warranty, I brought it to the Service Center and I think they just reformatted the phone.

Thank you anyway, at least I have now ideas when it happens again.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

JVM error 517 is a biggie.  Many times when users encounter this problem, they cannot get past it.  It all depends on whether you can get your phone to connect to BlackBerry Desktop Software.  If you can't get past that point (as I once couldn't with my 9900), you're doomed.  I say to try to connect to BDS.  If, after a few minutes, you can't get it to connect, return your phone to your carrier for warranty replacement.

I hope that helps you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
owenwizy
My Device: Blackberry 9380
My Carrier: Airtel NG

Thanks a lot.. I followed the Steps and it work with my Blackberry 9380 ... But I lost my all my contacts
Please use plain text.
Contributor
leondrie

You can recover al your contacts from your back up file.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lindaisobel196743
My Device: blackberry bold
My Carrier: £55.00

Go to the blackberry home screen and down the left hand side click on device software and follow on screen instructions this should fix your problem, hope this helps it fixed my problem and now its like a brand new phone before u do this take out your micro SD card as it will erase everything including all your contacts. This should work kind regards Linda Duke.

linda duke
Please use plain text.
Visitor
radebtl2
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: MTN

Hi how did you do it pls ?

Please use plain text.