Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
THAT_Asskay
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodacom

JVM Error 517

Hello

My Blod 9900 has been displaying an error message "JVM Error 517 Reset" for the past 48hours. I read in the forum that I need to Update software but I use desktop Manager 5.0.1 and each time I try accessing the App Loader it disconnects the device. Does this mean I need to get Ver. 6 Desktop manager. and will this fix my phone? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: JVM Error 517

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Refer to this for reference:

• KB30332 "JVM Error 517" appears on the BlackBerry Bold 9900 smartphone

You should ALWAYS be on the most recent version of the Desktop Software...the version of that is 100% separate from the OS version on your BB. You can always obtain the latest Desktop Software from here:

However, from what you describe, more may be wrong...you may need to attempt the use of the BBSAK utility (bbsak.org). Be sure that you have already also installed your BB OS package to your PC:

and, if that package is not from your BB's original carrier, that you have also removed (on your PC) all copies of VENDOR.XML.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lilady
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: globe telecom ph

Got the same JVM Error 517 (Reset) last night. I updated Desktop OS then connected the BB via usb to laptop to upgrade to newest Device Software for BB9900. But these messages appear from the Desktop Manager "Blackberry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device" - which is understandable because the BB is showing the White Screen JVM Error 517. There are options "Retry" or "Update". When i click Update now it asks "CONFIRM DEVICE REPAIR"  where it essentially wipes everything from the phone and resets it....

Is this the only way our of this terrible white screen jvm error???? 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

lilady wrote:

Got the same JVM Error 517 (Reset) last night. I updated Desktop OS then connected the BB via usb to laptop to upgrade to newest Device Software for BB9900. But these messages appear from the Desktop Manager "Blackberry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device" - which is understandable because the BB is showing the White Screen JVM Error 517. There are options "Retry" or "Update". When i click Update now it asks "CONFIRM DEVICE REPAIR"  where it essentially wipes everything from the phone and resets it....

Is this the only way our of this terrible white screen jvm error???? 

Hello,

From a 517, it is highly likely that all of your data on the device is already gone...so the full wipe/repair action is the only way to get it running again, and there is no data to recover from it anyway. Fortunately, RIM provides multiple FREE methods of protecting your data for this eventuality...if you've taken advantage of those, then you have nothing to fear and can restore after the repair completes. Of course, if you've not taken advantage of those, then you've migrated from the latter to the former in this old saying:

• There are two kinds of computing device users -- those who have lost data, and those who will

Backups, like insurance, are neither a reactive nor an optional activity.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.