Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Junk Emails

I have emails my PC forwarded to my BB. I get a lot of junk emails, which gets intercepted by Outlook and goes to the Outlook Junk Email folder, but it still forwards to my BB. And not once, but several times. When I take my phone off Bedside Mode in the morning, there are 20-30 junk emails, while there are only two-three in the Junk mail folder on Outlook on my PC. How can I stop this?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Junk Emails

Outlook is just an email client. What email service (@whatdomain) are you using? I recommend a gmail.com or outlook.com email address that has better spam filters built into the mail server itself, as opposed to relying on Outlook to move mail to the junk mail folder. Anything that gets to your inbox on the server will go to the BB device, that's just how it works.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks John.

I am using shaw.ca as my email service, unfortunately changing email address is not an option.

Outlook is moving 100% of the junk mail to the junk mail folder, but it still goes to my BB.

If only the mail in the inbox got forwarded, there would be no problem.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

First, I need to be clear on your exact email setup. Do you have your shaw.ca address integrated on your device? For example, if you go to the Setup Email icon on your device, is that shaw.ca email address listed on the device or are you actually forwarding the shaw.ca email to another email address that is integrated on your BB?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Yes, my shaw.ca email is set up on my BB and has its own icon.
It is not a unique BB mailing address.
Guru II

OK, great. What you need to realize is that your PC (Outlook) has nothing to do with that setup. The integration of the shaw.ca email address is between the BB device and the shaw.ca mail server. So, you need to intercept the spam at the server level in order to prevent it from being pushed to the device.

If you were to log in to your shaw.ca mail server online (not using Outlook) you would find everything in the inbox, including the junk mail. It's what is in that inbox that is what gets pushed to the BlackBerry.

Outlook is providing a function where it separates out the junk mail and places it in a junk mail folder. This process is completely separate from what gets sent to your BB device.

If the shaw.ca servers don't have a good junk mail/spam folder system then you will get the spam to your BB inbox. I used to have the same exact problem with charter.net. The spam filters were terrible and I got all that to my BB device. Once I switched to Gmail, which has some of the best spam filters out there, I no longer get the spam on my BB. Instead there is a spam folder on my gmail mailbox that the spam goes to and is not forwarded to the BB device.

So, bottom line, you'll need to check the spam settings at the server level. Beyond that there isn't much you can do. Again, Outlook has nothing to do with what is pushed to your BB device.

Hope this all makes sense.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you again John.

Actually, your answer makes a lot of sense. I access my mail on the shaw.ca web site when I am travelling, so I will go there to see if I can change the spam settings right at the server. I appreciate you clearing this up for me.