Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
panit1961
My Device: BB 9700

Keyboard lock NOT possible

Since my last software update on my BB 9700 I can't lock my keyboard.

Now I have v5.0.0.593 (Platform 5.1.0.147).

The Icon "Lock keyboard" is not longer on the desktop and I can't find an alternate to lock my keyboard.

Why? I want lock my keyboard.

What can I do?

Super Contributor
macska
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Keyboard lock NOT possible

Have you tried pushing the top left button with the lock on it?  

This is what locks the keyboard in the newer OSs. 

To lock the phone, you will need to set a password and then select the lock symbol. 

If you don't see the lock symbol in your icons, it may be hidden. To unhide hidden icons, click the BB button. Once in the menus, click the BB button again and select "Show All". 

Contributor
panit1961
My Device: BB 9700

Yes, I can lock the keyboard with the button on the left top. But the kwyboard don't lock, if I put my BB in the holster.

That function is in the setup enabled, but will not work.

I miss the icon "lock" on the desktop.

Super Contributor
macska

panit1961 wrote:

Yes, I can lock the keyboard with the button on the left top. But the kwyboard don't lock, if I put my BB in the holster.

That function is in the setup enabled, but will not work.

I miss the icon "lock" on the desktop.

If  you select the BB menu, do  you see the lock icon somewhere in the whole list of icons (it may be completely at the bottom)?

If it is there, then simply move it to the top line of icons, so that you can then see it on your desktop.

lasantiago2
My Device: 9700 Bold

Look at the very TOP of your phone there is a long black bar.  I you're looking at it with the screen facing the floor, press it on the LEFT side it will lock the keypad press the RIGHT side for mute.  I fond this out completely by accident.  Hope this helps.

erwindus
My Device: 9700

It used to be that if you locked your phone, you would need a password to unlock (if you had set this up to work this way).

With the new OS version this cannot be implemented anymore. That is, I haven't found it yet.

Anyone an idea how to put this security feature back in place?

New Contributor
nwoods
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

this update to the bold is so annoying. when my phone is locked(yes, i use the top left button on the top of the phone) it doesn't alert me of new messages or phonecalls! in order to see if i've missed anything i have to unlock it, whereas before you could just click the keyboard AND it gave you the "owner information" stuff if you lost your phone(which happened when it dropped out of my pocket at the park, it came in really handy when i went to get it from the lost in found at the baseball park concession!)

also...why did they take away the "silent" mode option you got when you clicked the top right button? now that button is totally useless because it has no command attached to it and you can't go into settings to do anything with it.

GeoDev62

I just did a O.S. update and lost the keyboard lock icon too. After using this feature frequently since I bought the phone 8 months ago, I now have to learn a new way to lock the keyboard. Unbelievable that RIM would change such a basic thing on their O.S. And I hate buttons on the side or top edge of any device - I always disable them, whenever possible, so that I'm not always pressing them unintentionally. My next phone will not be a BB.

Developer
JRab

erwindus wrote:

It used to be that if you locked your phone, you would need a password to unlock (if you had set this up to work this way).

With the new OS version this cannot be implemented anymore. That is, I haven't found it yet.

Anyone an idea how to put this security feature back in place?

at the current moment you have to wait for the security timeout to kick in. or you can click on the Password Lock icon to lock and appy the password to the phone immediately. If you go to Menu > Password Lock (Icon) you will be able to activate it. you can also move the icon to your top five icons to have immediate access. the icon looks like this:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman