Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
jeramiah71
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: 3
Accepted Solution

Keyboard problems

Hi

I have had my blackberry for the best par of a year now and have had little or no problems with it,but......

My phone is receiving txts/emails and calls however my keyboard seems to be completely unresponsive, meaning I cannot access any of the messages etc.

It is occasionally responding when I push buttons but not with the desired command.

I wondered if I could reboot it??? And don't know if there is a reset button or whether anyone else has experienced this problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Karen

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Keyboard problems

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,881
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jeramiah... after doing as Sdgarne instructs, does the keyboard function properly?

If you still have the same problems,

It sounds like what I have seen multiple times on a device with moisture damage.

Even sitting on a bathroom counter during a hot steamy shower or bath can cause keyboard and trackball problems UNTIL properly dried out.

It really is more common than you think.

1. Remove the battery immediately!! Do not attempt to turn on your BlackBerry.

2. Let the device dry in a warm, dry place for 3 to 5 days* (see below)

3. DO NOT "check it each day" by placing the battery in. Leave it be to dry completely. This takes time. Replacing the battery to check it can only damage it more (moisture + electrical current = disaster).

3. If the device is warm after the drying period, allow it to cool to room temperature before placing the battery back in.

*Suggestions on drying your BlackBerry in a warm place (open, with the battery out):

• Place the BB in a container of dry UNcooked rice, and then you might also place it in any of the locations mentioned below.

• On top of any dry heat emitting electronic component: TV cabinet or CRT, LCD, cable TV/Satellite converter box or plasma monitor

• On the dashboard of your car on a sunny day

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jeramiah71
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: 3

Thanks guys,

I have to confess i think it may be moisture damage as you have suggested from the bathroom.

I will give those tricks a try, and thank you again.

Cheers

karen

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,881
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

k, good luck with it.

It can be dried out, and will work well.. TIME is the key. Patience!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
azfarazhar
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Warid

This doesn't work! I've tried drying it out. Tried using a hair drier even. Doesn't work. This problem seems to be on every blackberry bold support site as a question and yet no one has an answer.

Very strange.

Rgds,

Azfar

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Actually, it's quite understandable. The only thing that is predictable about water damage is that the results will be unpredictable. Pretty much anything can happen when you mix water with an electronic device...they are not friends of each other.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
bill-333
My Device: bold 9000

Hi,

Can you help me pls. some bottoms in the they keypad doesn't work for the past 10 days.

I reboot my blackberry bold , remove the battery , update it but still same bottoms don't work.

I can't find the solution on the website.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
timbo79
My Device: 9900 bold
My Carrier: ATT

On am on my 2nd BB 9900 because of keyboard issues? in 6 months.

I have not exposed to water, not even a shower. This seems to be a common problem.

Alt key sticks, funcky symbols when typing, can spends 5 minutes trying for letter A.

I have done some research & have not found a simple answer, although, I am not a phone or software technician nor do I want to be.

I have updated the software to 7.1? I have cycled the battrey, I have begged,pleaded & prayed.

I depend on my phone, I have always depended on BB, I obviously prefer a keyboard.

I spent some serious $ to use BB with keyboards. I can not seem to find a direct contact to anyone at RIM short of snail mail.

Is there a real solution to the keyboard issues? Or do I have to replace the phone again?

If I need to replace the phone again, Looks like I should just skip BB solution. Skipping BB is not my 1st choice, but I may as well have a dumb phone than another malfunctioning BB.

Is there a Keyboard solution?

Is there a direct email contact to RIM? Do they even care?

I should be whinning to my ATT repersenative?

Thank you for listening, I feel a little better. :-)

Please use plain text.