Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
bogachini

'Lock/unlock' button not working

Hi there

I just got my Blackberry Bold 9780 last night and the 'lock/unlock' button on the top left doesn't work at all. It feels somewhat sticky - the mute key on the right side makes a clicky sound when pressed down whereas the lock button just presses in without making any contact. I understand that you can set a password but that is rather inconvenient as you have to wait 1 minute for it to lock and every time I want to use the phone I have to type in a code. 
I can lock the phone by holding down A/* but then there is no way of unlocking it again. Thank goodness the phone came with the holster because that seems to unlock it for me - but this is obviously less than ideal.

What can I do? Is there a shortcut to unlocking like on the Curve 8520 (a/* and the call button)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: 'Lock/unlock' button not working

[ Edited ]

With no clicking sound, it sounds like a hardware issue because mine clicks when pressed.  You might want to run it back to your carrier to have a look at it.  You might be able to swing a replacement phone out of it.

The solution to this problem, for me, is to use a clip holster I bought from www.seidioonline.com which allows me to insert and remove the phone quickly by lifting a clip.  Once the phone is holstered, it shuts off the screen, rendering it inoperable until the phone is unholstered again.  There are other manufacturers, of course, but that's the one that I've chosen.

If the suggestion of a clip holster doesn't sit well with you, see what your carrier says about the problem.

By the way, before taking the phone back to your carrier for a look, back up your data via Desktop Manager.  It only takes a few seconds and it'll save you a lot of grief if you do get a replacement phone.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bogachini

Hi Bill

Thanks for responding - it was a great help. Lots of great advice but still upsetting that it's the actual phone with the fault :smileysad:

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
clindsay
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

Hi - I had the same problem.  I removed the back cover, tried the button and it worked!  Replaced the cover and the button is working as advertised.  Apparently, the cover was on too tight and it was keeping the button from making contact.  Hope it works for you too.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bogachini

Hi clindsay

Do you mean the battery cover? I just removed that and unfortunately it didn't work - the button is still not working.
Please use plain text.
clindsay
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

bogachini,

Yes, I removed the battery cover and then tried the lock button and it worked.  I put the cover back on with a little less force and the button is still working. 

Please use plain text.
Yaboor

Hi, I also have a BB 9780 and when I press the mute key it doesn't go to stand by mode, how can I fix it ?
Please use plain text.
alr2011
My Carrier: o2

hey everyone i got my blackberry yesterday and the lock key was working fine i woke up this morning and its not working any suggestions??

Please use plain text.
Visitor
NiallDornan
My Carrier: q1

Hey, I've had a Bold 9700 since Christmas, and a few weeks ago I knocked my phone against a desk and I found that the button you mentioned stopped working completely. Eventually after a few hours it fixed itself, but it's happened 2 or 3 times since then. Today it happened and wouldn't fix itself so like yourself I looked for help online but found nothing, and I know this may sound bizarre, but I swear it worked for me, I took my phone, and positioned my mouth where the lock button is and just breathed on it, a few seconds later after tapping the button it worked, I know it may seem silly, but since it worked for me, maybe it'll work for you, good luck!

Please use plain text.
Blackplanet
My Carrier: orange

[ Edited ]

Hi Niall, the same thing happened to my friend's phone (bold 9700), so desperate to do anything to make it work, I blew on it, and a few seconds later it worked!!  Glad I found your post!!  My friend now thinks i'm a witch lol!

Please use plain text.