Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
OldBold9900
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Lost all my emails and now I can't reply to newer emails

[ Edited ]

Ok, I know for a fact that we are not in April so I have not been punked by an April's fool prank. I plugged my phone on the charger last night, like I do on a daily basis, and this morning I wake up to all my emails gone and if and when I want to reply to any received emails, all I have for options are:

Switch App

Save Draft

Full Menu

I went into the options and my emails are setup to be deleted after 30 days but it has not been more than 2 weeks since I opted for smartphone bb data package... AT&T 10GB family Plan.

Only thing I can't think off is the fact that we switch time to 1 hour ahead but that sounds extremely illogical for me.

I am on a 9900 Bold ver 7.1.0 bundle 2543

I was reading here that my service book could be corrupted but the only CMIME service book I find is for 1 email account (out of 4) and when I did the delete and then undelete thing, nothing happened.

I did the old unplug the battery to reset the bb but that failed as well,

Again, I have not changed, edited anything on my email accounts since I initially made them. Only thing I can recall I did was that I plugged the phone to the charger once and about 5 minutes later I unplug it to use it, 10 to 15 minutes later I plugged it back up and went to sleep, but again... I seriously doubt this jacked my whole email settings.

Sorry for the long rant, I am trying to be as thourough as I can. Loosing my emails is not a big deal since I have them on my outlook inbox but it does get a little annoying that I lost them on my device and not been able to reply to them.

Thanks and sorry if this has been posted before, none of the answers I found helped me personally.

EDIT: I just went to Thunderbird and I sent myself a test email to all of the email accounts I have on my BB, they all came in immediately but, I was unable to reply to any of them. I wonder if deleting/uninstalling the emails accounts I have on my BB and doing a fresh install would solve the issue.

I still would love to know what happened and why it did it though.:Eek:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Lost all my emails and now I can't reply to newer emails

Hello,

OldBold9900 wrote:

I was reading here that my service book could be corrupted but the only CMIME service book I find is for 1 email account (out of 4) and when I did the delete and then undelete thing, nothing happened.

Wrong process...With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your configurations for the affected email accounts. Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

OldBold9900 wrote:

I still would love to know what happened and why it did it though.:Eek:

Pretty much impossible to diagnose at an internet distance. There are a lot of possibilities, ranging from remote wipe (if you are on BES), spontaneous unexplained wipe, and other possibilities. The reality is that figuring out "why" is pretty much impossible...rather, figuring out how to now recover is the key, and then ensuring that you always follow good backup practices so that you are protected should it happen again (as with all computing devices, backups are not an optional activity).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
OldBold9900

[ Edited ]

First of all, I want to thank you for the fast and thourough response, it was easy and clear... more so for me that I am new to finagling with devices such as smartphones.

Ok, I did the registering thing and all went well, registration mail arrived and then I procedeeded to deletion of the service books but couldn't find any so I skipped that option. Then I did the KB02830 and rebooted by taking the battery out while the phone was on... no changes whatsoever.

I do have the service books now but I still can't reply to any of the emails I have gotten.

Now, was I supposed to wait the 20 minutes it told it would take to register or download emails  prior to rebooting or doing it before is the same thing? :Oops:

On my email accounts I now see the 4 accts with the green check mark where I only had 1 before... the first email I setup.

Should I try the delete/undelete method on my service books now or I should just wait for something else to try?

This could not have come at a worse time since I am schedule for a trip in about 5 days. On the other hand, I have a fe days to fix this and it did not happen while I was away... glass half full kinda guy I guess LOL

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

OldBold9900 wrote:
Then I did the KB02830 and rebooted by taking the battery out while the phone was on

Did you wait for all of the "activation" messages to arrive between those two steps? If not, please start over.

OldBold9900 wrote:
no changes whatsoever.

Ummm...I'm thinking that's not totally accurate...given what you continued on with...

OldBold9900 wrote:

Now, was I supposed to wait the 20 minutes it told it would take to register or download emails  prior to rebooting or doing it before is the same thing? :Oops:

No...or maybe yes...just as I laid out for you, wait for ALL "Acrivation" messages before rebooting. Please do it all again.

OldBold9900 wrote:

Should I try the delete/undelete method on my service books now or I should just wait for something else to try?

There already is, in my post above, more for you to try...those 3 steps are one process...followed by further instructions there...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
OldBold9900

It appears that I was stuck trying to reply to an email that came in before I did all of the changes and why I thought it did not work.

After a few more tests, I am now sure all that I did worked, and yes, I did wait for all the emails to come in about the registration and activation before pulling the battery out.

I am still a little miffed that I am going to have to wait until tomorrow to reply to that customer from my outlook at the office but happy I got my emails working again... even if the why did happened will nag at me for a few more days lol.

Thanks again for all your help.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are very welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.