Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Lost emails

Hi All,

I am a little frustrated with Blackberry.  I upgraded to a Bold 9000 earlier this year and it keep having little glitches like dying on me mid call if a mail/sms comes through losing sms's spontaneously and deleting emails from the handset, also at times repeating repeat sms's from previous weeks/months.  Until now that has been a tad problematic but today it spontaneously deleted emails not only from the handset but from my main webmail server also.  Included in these emails was an important work email.  Having contacted the email provider I have been told that I can not have these mails restored.  

Can someone please tell me is it possible to get these emails restored somehow? and is this a common problem with the Bold 9000 or have I simply landed myself with a dodgy handset?

Thank you

Sunbeam

Solutions: 6,137
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Lost emails

You have related and unrelated things going on here, it appears to me.

First thing? Check the File Free at Options > Status, what is the number at File Free?
Now, remove the battery of your device, hold a minute, replace and reboot. What is the File Free now?

Also go ahead and tell me what the OS version is on your device:   Look at Options > About, third line down beginning with a "v.4.xxx"

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hi

File free: 30669262 bytes.  that's plenty isn't it?

the version is

v4.6.0.162 (platform4.0.0.155)

thanks

I was curious what the file free was before and after a battery pull.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates

Oh, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

The only real reason the device will "spontaneously and deleting emails from the handset, also at times repeating repeat sms's from previous weeks/months" is normally two reasons:

--Low memory in which the device will delete SMS, messages and rarely calendar items to make room for new emails. Its primary purpose is to communicate with email and messages, if the device sees that it needs more memory for that task, it will make room as it needs (just like your body at starvation will eat your own muscle for life support).

--You have settings on your device to delete messages at a certain point... 30 days, 60 days, etc.

Once deleted, they are deleted on the device, there is no getting them back UNLESS you have also captured those emails on your email server in a saved folder or in Outlook on a desktop PC, in which case you can simply resend them to yourself.

Likewise, on the BlackBerry, IMPORTANT emails and messages you can mark SAVED so that they will not be deleted.

Additionally, you should be making at LEAST weekly backups of your BlackBerry device (Desktop Manager > Backup) in order to preserve the information you hold dear.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Whoops sorry!,

before battery pull: as previous

After battery hold: 48853590 bytes

settings for mail to retain messages "forever". 

So what you are saying is if the memory is still high before and after reboot and the seeting say leavemessages forever the handset should not be taking it on itself to randomly delete emails, correct?

And also sadly I cannot restore any of the deleted messages, right?

Thank you for the welcome.

Neither of those File Free settings are low.. and neither should be causing message deletion, (at least it would be higher than any I have ever noticed (the highest of which was at 23MB file free when it deleted messages). So... it is possible, just less likely.

So, something else is deleting them.

Do you use Outlook or ever access the webmail server where the messages are stored?

Is this a normal POP3 or IMAP account?

Or, are you on a corporate BES account?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I have only just started using outlook in the last two days.  and have just changed the settings on that to retain a copy on the original mail server = pop3 mail.

And not on a corporate or BES account. 

the deleting issue, the repeat receving of sms' and emails and the crashing was happening before I started using outlook. 

[ Edited ]

sunbeam wrote:

the deleting issue, the repeat receving of sms' and emails and the crashing was happening before I started using outlook. 

Honestly, the email deletition could still be a memory issue, but I am not swearing on it in the manner you state your circumstances.

Has ANYone played with your device? Do you have your emails set to delete on the server when you delete on the handheld? (Messages > Options > Email Reconcilation)?

For the duplicate SMS, you should talk with your carrier. 

For the crashing, I would recommend upgrading the OS the latest verison 4.6.0.266

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9000-series-discussion-bold/188088-latest-os-9000-4-6-0-451-...

Message Edited by JSanders on 05-13-2009 03:35 PM

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks, JSanders

Will talk to carrier, and have upgraded software...

nope too possesive of blackberry - it's my lifeline!  wont let anyone touch it!