Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Nadzim
My Device: bold, 9790
My Carrier: celcom

Lost of data

Hi,

I'm using Bold 9790. Last weekend, I've removed & reinstall WhatsApp & these happens:

1 - All my phonebook contact are lost!

How do I retrieve it? Does it have something to do with uninstalling & reinstall WhatsApp?

2 - ALL archive images from WhatsApp cannot be retrieved

I'vve connected the phone to PC & browse the image folders. It shows unrecognised file under the WhatsApp image folder.

3 - Also from last week onwards, ALL images from WhatsApp cannot be stored & downloaded in the phone. However, pictures from camera & FB works is stored in the phone.

All these while, I'm not using any media card.

Please help.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Lost of data

[ Edited ]

Anadem wrote:

Hi,

I'm using Bold 9790. Last weekend, I've removed & reinstall Watchstrap & these happens:

1 - All my phones contact are lost!

How do I retrieve it? Does it have something to do with installing & reinstall Watchstrap?

2 - ALL archive images from Watchstrap cannot be retrieved

I've connected the phone to PC & browse the image folders. It shows unrecognized file under the Watchstrap image folder.

3 - Also from last week onwards, ALL images from Watchstrap cannot be stored & downloaded in the phone. However, pictures from camera & FB works is stored in the phone.

All these while, I'm not using any media card.

Please help.

Thanks

Hi anadem and welcome to the forums!

I just reinstalled What's App on my 9850 seems popular again. I didn't  have any of your issues but maybe we can figure this out.

I hope as we go through this the importance of using a media card to keep your device running  well become clear.

I use a media card but analyzed both the device and media memory to see what the app has stored and why you cannot access it

I found A WHAT'S APP document library of 2.78 MB small.

Another folder of pictures for what's app contacts. I had limited  the during the install so I had only four.
Another folder holding under a 1MB , I'm not a programmer but it looked like install logs and and states or device response times.

I found A WHAT'S APP document library of 2.78 MB small.

Another folder of pictures for what's app contacts. I had limited  the during the install so I had only four.
Another folder holding under a 1MB , I'm not a programmer but it looked like install logs and device analysis of space and response times. I wound up with about 3MB on my media card.
On my device memory I found 132KB file in the IM directory for Blackberry Messenger and about 4 other files less than 4mb

I'm very slight  user of the app and had denied some permissions to contacts and pictures during the install. There were also some procedures that I stopped with editing permissions.

I didn't find any hidden files or restrictions that would caused problems.

Here is what I suggest:

Backup  a copy only of  your archived images to a PC make sure you destroy or do not copy any files called  BBTHUMBS.DAT I would use a virus software (just as a precaution for  the PC.)The use Windows to check the files for compression or hidden attributes etc. If you can restore them, keep them on the PC. If we don't know what happened to the copy on the device there's no reason to risk them. I've also seen APS correct their own mistakes.

As far as the images not been stored correctly from What's App they may nor have the correct directory folder they need on your device memory.  The other thought is they have been altered to by an easier file format to work with on your device memory. You'll be able to check them when you make the PC copy.

A small media card commercial to follow. Blackberry devices run on "static memory" the memory is dynamic and constantly reallocates based on the phoned needs. That's why you can take notes, a phone call , and write an email at the same time. Storing any type of file using that dynamic memory effectively removes that memory from the phone's operation.  The more data you load into your device memory the less performance you reconvening a media card takes the burden to just holding data off the device memory. Media cards are designed for storage.  Something to consider.

One last point that gets a lot  of users in trouble. Always take the time for do a full backup of your device before installing any app. You see the app released and want to download it ASAP, but trust me take the 10 minutes and save your self some headaches.

I've said that for year and last week had to fix a java.java.ling exception on my phone. I'm a sucker for any GPS or weather radar app and ignored my own advice.! :Censored:

I'll leave a link for you

Best of luck for you,

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB26203 BlackBerry smartphone rhinestones will not play

KB19414 Multiple "Desktop" Address Book databases on the BlackBerry smartphone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
marcbru
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: 3 (Italy)

Hi: I have a bold 9700 and I can't turn it on anymore! Is like when you take off battery and then put on: the screen saying "blackberry" and loading starting program but it stops to load at 3/4 of the white line.

Is there any chance to have this bb re-start? Like a combination of buttons to push or something else.

I have all my data inside and if can't make it running they are all gone!

Thanks

Marco

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

marcbru wrote:

Hi: I have a bold 9700 and I can't turn it on anymore! Is like when you take off battery and then put on: the screen saying "blackberry" and loading starting program but it stops to load at 3/4 of the white line.

Is there any chance to have this bb re-start? Like a combination of buttons to push or something else.

I have all my data inside and if can't make it running they are all gone!

Thanks

Marco

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. Unfortunately, you can't properly prepare with a backup of your data since you can't boot up your device...which is a sad situation. Of course, backups have never been intended as a reactive activity.

In addition, please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.