Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
ninahbriggs
My Device: Bold 9900

Major problem with BBM contacts migration

I just moved from a 9780 (on OS6) to a 9900 (on OS 7) using Desktop Manager to Back-up and Restore

My BBM contacts have refused to transfer....the new handset keeps hanging in a "Restoring BBM" state

I've fried and reinstalled the entire OS, I've re-registered many times over, I've updated and upgraded everything

I've got a BlackBerry ID registered which I have repeatedly entered on the new handset.....all to no avail

I'm utterly stuck here and would very much appreciate any concrete leads

New Contributor
rohansuryawanshi
My Device: 9780

Re: Major problem with BBM contacts migration

Hi

you could take backup of ur bbm contacts locally on your memory card and then try restoring it from the restore option in bbm. 

Hope this resolves your issue.

Cheers 

hjweidemann0

Hello - I just got the Bold 9900 too, used the 9700 before, and encountered the identical problem you have.

Then I updated the BBerry device software - the problem still was there

THen, in the BBery desktop software, I edited the settings for "address book" - I set "MS Outlook has preference"

in the settings and tried again - and then it worked nicely, I could import all contacts from MS Ooutlook

Hope it helps, best wishes, Hans-Juergen

Forums Advisor III
unleashurself
My Device: 9780

From the old to the new device.

On the Old device: Open BBMessenger > Options > Backup > Local to your Media Card.

Put media card in new device &

On the new device, BBMessenger > Options > Restore > From your local Media Card.

New Contributor
ninahbriggs

Wish I could......for some 'strange reason' the BBM backup function (on the old handset)  seems to have completely disappeared....seems its a function of the fact that I'd upgraded the BBM to v7 on the old handset a long while back. Any other thoughts/ideas...?

New Contributor
ninahbriggs

Hi, having done an extensive search I can't seem to find this setting/option you refer to. It's actually gotten to 'messy' now that I've had to go back to using my old handset...and this without emails coming in anymore. Any further thoughts...?

New Contributor
ninahbriggs

Wish I could......for some 'strange reason' the BBM backup function (on the old handset)  seems to have completely disappeared, as such can't even back stuff up onto media card....seems its a function of the fact that I'd upgraded the BBM to v7 on the old handset a long while back. Any other thoughts/ideas...?

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

ninahbriggs wrote:

Wish I could......for some 'strange reason' the BBM backup function (on the old handset)  seems to have completely disappeared....seems its a function of the fact that I'd upgraded the BBM to v7 on the old handset a long while back. Any other thoughts/ideas...?

Hi ninahbriggs

Welcome to Support Forums

On your old device are you having BBM7 ? If it is then your Contacts are stored with your BlackBerry ID , once your login to your BlackBerry ID on your new device your contacts will be restored .

But what concerns me is what you stated on your first post  " Restoring BBM " .On your new device are you able to login to your BlackBerry ID yet ? 

Also check this Article : BlackBerry Messenger - 7.0 

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
ninahbriggs

Very correct re the fact that my old handset was upgraded to BBM v7...and yes the new handset asked me to login with my BlackBerry ID, which I did (repeatedly)....but that's where the problem sets in....I can't seem to 'get past' this "Restoring BBM" state...in fact out of frustrations I've had to go back to my old handset (now showing both PINs, and refusing to reactivate my email accounts)...quite a fix I must say

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

ninahbriggs wrote:

Very correct re the fact that my old handset was upgraded to BBM v7...and yes the new handset asked me to login with my BlackBerry ID, which I did (repeatedly)....but that's where the problem sets in....I can't seem to 'get past' this "Restoring BBM" state...in fact out of frustrations I've had to go back to my old handset (now showing both PINs, and refusing to reactivate my email accounts)...quite a fix I must say

Hi ninahbriggs

If you have both of your devics then I would suggest you to perform a Switch device Wizard , but before that wipe your new device only  if your have all datas still on your old device , then perform this wizard , If you want to have a try check this Knowledge Base :

KB23677 : How to Switch devices using BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.