Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
binarymax
My Device: Not Specified

Memory leak

I have a memory leak on my bold and I am not sure what could be causing it.  I have not installed any additional software myself, but it did come with a Vodafone package with vodafone live and vodafone maps.

Does anyone know what is causing the leak?  Is there a firmware/software update that might solve this problem?

My usage habits are:

Phone, Browser, memopad, email (yahoo account link), office apps (readonly documents), camera, preloaded games (poker, suduko), WiFi & 3G connections.

I do not use:

Bluetooth, music player, video player/recorder.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

curt

Re: Memory leak

I think there's a pretty serious leak in the browser. I left my bold on for 4 days straight and I was down to 0 mb memory
Visitor
jess2k9

I've also got the same problem with a Blackberry Bold, the strange thing is - other Blackberry bold users in my organisation do not have the problem, so it doesn't seem to be a problem across the board.

I'm interested as to find out if anyone has reported this directly to Blackberry phone support, and what their response was?

Other information I've found with other users posting their reason for the memory leak problems:
- 3rd party apps - especially Viigo, Googlemaps (but users without 3rd party apps still have a memory leak problem)
- javascript enabled in the OEM browser
- any web browser with tickers running on them
- versions 4.6.0.126 and 0.134 both definitely having issues
- someone states it is a 'memory utilisation' issue which I am more inclined to think because everyone without 3rd party apps and different OS all seem to be having the same problem

Possible temporary fixes:
- "Go to options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning. Enable it and set the appropriate options." You can set it to clean after 1 hour idle and upon holstering.
- Make sure you exit any application you have stopped using

- Disable javascript in the browser (undesirable)
- Soft-reset (undesirable)

- Hard-reset (undesirable)

Hopefully BB will post up a fix to this fairly major problem.

Cheers
Jess

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Jess2k9,

Closing each app properly and enabling memory cleaning should be a matter of course,

not a temporary fix. I agree that they are good habits to get into.

Also manage the GPS and Bluetooth applications. When not in use they should be disabled.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Developer
littleazn248

I don't but I think my blackberry tour has it also. I began with 109mb then I began surfing well after surfing I only have 90mb left what gives. I did the security memory clean etc. and I don't have any apps except for sprint navigator. What gives?I know I may sound a little silly but on my blackberry I try to keep as much memory as possible. For my iphone i have tons of apps and it doesnt slow down.

ymy3890
My Device: Storm 9500

To sad:robotsad: to know that RIM knew the problem and avoiding it. They should fix it as soon as possible in order to increase sales.

This could be RIM marketting strategy, with this little problem everyone mentioned 'blackberry' in any forum. Free advertising.