Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

Messages dissapeared, BB fan for 5 years, never happened before. Please bring back faith in BB

Tried to search for a text message today and noticed that it cannot be found. Then I had troubles with exiting to messages list from search window which still read "0 messages found". And then when I pressed "B" to look for the oldest message it showed me that the oldest one is a month old. This is absurd, throughout all my previous blackberries I saved and moved all my text messages to a new device, including the present BBB9900.

The option "Keep messages FOREVER"  has been on since the day one on my every device. The memory is 2 GB free on media card and 5Gb free on the device. Never changed a thing in the settings.

Please help me with this. I cannot be sure in my BB any more, for if it somehow deleted all those messages, my faith and trust in RIM is lost forever.

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Messages dissapeared, BB fan for 5 years, never happened before. Please bring back faith in BB

Hi barmsbarms,

Welcome to BlackBerry support community forums. Please find the following details -

What is considered low flash memory?
The BlackBerry smartphone's Java® operating system has a complex and dynamic way of determining exactly how much available flash memory it should have before starting the Low Memory Manager application. To determine if it has low flash memory, the BlackBerry smartphone takes into account a number of factors, such as the BlackBerry smartphone hardware model, the operating system version, the number of installed applications, the frequency at which BlackBerry smartphone user data is added and removed, and so on. Generally speaking, the more the BlackBerry smartphone is used, the more memory the operating system sets aside for normal, efficient operation.

Note: When the BlackBerry smartphone has determined that is has low flash memory, it automatically starts the Low Memory Manager application, which reclaims memory.

The Low Memory Manager (LMM) is activated automatically when the available flash memory on the BlackBerry® smartphone decreases to less than 400 KB. Flash memory is used to store BlackBerry® smartphone applications such as messages, calendar, contacts, tasks, memos, and third-party applications.

To get to know more on this please check the below mentioned KB articles -

• KB14320 How to maximize battery life and free memory on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB02843 What is the Low Memory Manager feature on the BlackBerry smartphone

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Re: Messages dissapeared, BB fan for 5 years, never happened before. Please bring back faith in BB

[ Edited ]

Does that mean that I will not be able to recover my messages?

Can a notification be set for cases such as you described when the device "reclaims memory". An owner thus would have an ability to choose between loosing all of his messages and deleting a couple of unused apps.

In Device Status I have only two entries in Device Information section - Battery and Free Memeory, which reads 108914004 bytes

Solutions: 6,096
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Do you have a backup of your device, made with either the Desktop Software on your PC, or with Protect?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I don't have a recent backup copy, which only makes the matter worse, not solving it in any way. I'm not sure It won't happen again. How can I after this?

Solutions: 6,096
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Can you answer both my questions, what about having Protect installed?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I do have BB Protect Installed, but it was a ehile since its last back-up