Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
messiahjason
My Device: Not Specified

Micro SD, playing music problem

Hi, I have just bought my BlackBerry Bold and I'm having problem getting music onto it. I have also just bought a Kingston 32gb micro sd card and everytime I put music on it either says that it can't play the file or that the card needs repairing. I have repaired the card several times and also formatted a couple of times using the phone. I have tried syncing using the blackberry desktop software, windows media player and dragging and dropping the files into the music folder.

The 2gb card that came with the phone seems to play music fine when syncing using the desktop software so is it just likely the 32gb card isn't any good? If that's the case could someone recommend what the best micro sd cards to buy are?

Cheers,

Jason 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Sudeep
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Micro SD, playing music problem

Genuine Kingston/ Transcend/ Sony etc are all good.

I am using an 8 GB Transcend card with my phone without any hassels.

Ideally Bold 9780 should support upto 32 GB card.

If your 2 GB card that came with the phone is working fine, I suggest you test the 32 GB card on any other phone or on your PC through a card reader and see if its reading fine.

Good Luck.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
messiahjason

Ok so I bought a card reader, formatted it on my computer, I was still having the same problems. I formatted it again, and tried just dragging and dropping some music onto the black micro sd card and put into my old phone. The old phones played it fine, so I tried it in the blackberry and it played fine.

However, if I take out the micro sd card, put more music on and re-insert it (or even just take it out and put it back in) I get the same problem with the blackberry saying it needs repairing. It seems to me that the blackberry reads the card before it puts the blackberry folder on it, if it's taken out after it won't play the music and says it needs repairing. It seems that there isn't any problem with the sd card as it works on both the old phone and the computer. Even more confusingly, the 2gb card that came with the phone has no problems, been using it all day, ejected in and changed music without encountering any problems.

Please use plain text.
daveabs
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. New 9780, music and photos we all syncing great with the standard 2gb memory card... so i thought i'd upgrade and got a brand new san disk 32gb card. 

Now it wont sync, wont play files and always wants to repair/format the card. 

I've tried in a usb reader and formatiing as MS-DOS (FAT)... still doesn't work. 

Did you ver find a solution?

Thanks, 

David

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KOKO_TWIN1
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Hey guys,

I just bought a new 32gb MicroSD SanDisk card and I'm having the same problem :smileysad: I've formatted it many times, using my computer and the BlackBerry (Menu>options...) and it still doesn't sync any of my photos or music and everytime I insert it an error appears telling me about errors that need to be repaired. 

I'm all out of ideas and I've tried syncing the files through the BB Desktop Sowftware and by using the adaptor and the files are there when I check on the computer but just won't sync onto BB.

Anyone out there who's fixed the problem, please HELP!

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sassyrae2
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

I'm having the SAME problem too!! My 2GB that came with the phone works fine and reads music files from media sync. So I put in my 32GB and did the musci sync and it said the card had errors and that the music file type wasn't supported. So I erased all the music off the 32GB and reformatted it. I put it into a card reader. I new exactly what music files I wanted to transfer, so I changed the file extension to mp3 instead of m4a or aac. Although, those extensions worked on my 2GB... strange! Once I changed the extension, I put the 32GB into a card reader and "click and drag" the music onto the card. Only had a few issues with a few songs not moving over. I then put the card back into my phone and it did say there were errors that needed repaired. So said "yes" repair and WOW.... the music files are supported!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KOKO_TWIN1

Turned out that the media card was a fake (never buy from Ebay unless you're 100% the seller is reliable)... In any case, I bought another one from a store and I've had ZERO problems. As soon as I put it in, it worked..didn't even have to format it.

From what I understand, there are many fake 32gb cards out there and some handsets are more sensitive to the errors on them and that why they don't work. In my case, after formatting the card over and over again I managed to get all my photos on but music files were impossible.

My advice, get another card because you'll go around in circles and it has nothing to do with the BB.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sassyrae2
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

Oh WOW... I bought mine from ebay and from a top rated seller. I guess, you get what you pay for, huh? Thanks for the update!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KOKO_TWIN1

Yeah...I'd return the card and ask for a full refund. My seller had thousands of positive feedback but once I dug a little further I saw that every so often he had a person giving negative reviews b/c of FAKE cards. The seller turned out to be from China, even though the mailing address was in the UK.

Hope it all works out :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mschneekloth

Its is definitely not the 32GB cards being fake. I've used all different kinds of brands with the same problem/errors. This is a serious Blackberry error that needs to be addressed. Does any Blackberry support guy even read or moderate this forum? I've seen numbers of posts related to this exact problem with barely any replies, responses or solutions for that matter. Again, the problem is NOT fake cards, the problem is with the device. I've used multiple brands of microSD cards from multiple reputable vendors withe the same problem. can someone please address this problem???
Please use plain text.