Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
JGreg7
My Device: 9700
Accepted Solution

Missing Message Icon

When I receive a text message, it shows up combined with my e-mail list, with no separate indication that it is a message.

Since I get a large number of e-mails (many of which I do not need to respond to), the message becomes lost in the e-mail list.  As far as I can tell, the message just adds to the e-mail envelope icon, which is fairly useless to distinguish a text message.

Is there a way to have a separate indication when a text message appears?  And/or a separate folder for the text messages?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Missing Message Icon

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

By default, all messages (email, SMS, BBM, etc.) are put into the main Messages icon/app. Some prefer this "unified messages" approach, others prefer to separate things. Fortunately, the BB provides the ability to split things out according to your desires.

On older OS levels (e.g., within and less than the OS5 level), there was very little control over this split...basically, just being able to split SMS/MMS out of Messages to an icon of their own (controlled by one of the Options settings within the Messages app). But, with later OS levels, more fine controls were provided:

For BES users, your BES Admin can push a BES-only email icon to your device. This solution is free, but must be conducted at the BES server, and will affect all users on that BES server.

• KB15003 How to create a separate icon on the BlackBerry smartphone for only BlackBerry Enterprise Server messages

If your device OS level (starting within OS5 and above) has the option, you can dictate what shows in Messages:

• Homescreen > Messages > blackberry_logo.jpg > Options > (Main Message List Settings) or (Inbox Settings) or (Inbox Management)
  • Uncheck what you want to suppress from Messages, enabling a separate icon for those you uncheck

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
JGreg7
My Device: 9700

The solution provided worked like a charm! 

Thank you very much.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are very welcome...enjoy!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
BBksl
My Device: Bold9900

I'm using bold9900 and seem not able to separate my email and text message. As I tried going into option: inbox management to uncheck either email or text message, it will apply to all folder ie text message folder and message folder. My question is on how to have only email appearing in message folder and text message appearing in text message folder
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

BBksl wrote:
I'm using bold9900 and seem not able to separate my email and text message. As I tried going into option: inbox management to uncheck either email or text message, it will apply to all folder ie text message folder and message folder. My question is on how to have only email appearing in message folder and text message appearing in text message folder

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Inside of the main "Messages" folder, there are things that will always show there (e.g., BBM), and you have no option to suppress them. Hence, you cannot cause the main "Messages" folder to ever display only emails. Rather, you can create, via the correct selections, separate icons for SMS/MMS as well as email accounts, and those will no longer show inside the main "Messages" folder...but the things you cannot suppress from the main "Messages" folder will always display there, no matter what you do.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
BBksl
My Device: Bold9900

Can you advise how can we have separate icon for email and SMS ?thanks
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

The methods are in post 2 above...the exact method for you depends on your specific BB OS...it is different for different versions. So please review that post, and try the different methods so as to figure out which are applicable to you.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates