Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

More Orange UK Woes

Hi, I received my Bold yesterday at about 3pm from the courier sent by Carphone Warehouse.

As you do, I tried to do all the setting up only to find that when I dialled out I got a recorded message from Orange about registering and when I tried to dial in to my B, it said the number was inactive.

After calling Carphone Warehouse only to be told that it is to do with the contract and I need to call Orange.

It took nearly all the rest of the day to get hold of Orange via their telephone helpline.

Eventually I was told that the sim needed to be registered and this would take upto 48hrs.

This morning at about 11am I got two sms from Orange saying my phone had been updated and I could now send mms, please restart your phone.

Great, I thought, I am up and running now.

After a restart, yeah, I could dial out and dial in, send sms but there still was no Compose MMS option in the menu and if I try to send a picture from within the picture folder it says the needed services are not installed.

Also there is still only the 1 option in the email setup to setup an account with Blackberry Enterprise Server and not the other option saying to Create or Add an Email Address.

No maps.

GPS is enabled, will refresh but shows 0 for both longitude & latitude.

I downloaded google maps as many on this forum have said but it will not get past 3 and comes up with an error about network service.

GoogleSync will not connect, again server setting issue.

I called Orange again and apparently my BB services are not turned on. This is the £2.50 per month extra that you have to pay for BB's.

They actually had no record of me wanting the service. Really and trully everybody that has a BB requires this addon pack to get the features to work correctly.

I was assured that after now another indefinate wait for the service pack to kick in that all the features will be available.

I sit with bated breath.

Regards

Kirk 

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold

Re: More Orange UK Woes

Without the data package the BBB is just a fat phone! The data package once it kicks in, should work and you will be able to download and email and surf and stuff as much as you please.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I thought as much.

I am able to surf at the moment as it is running through my wi-fi router but all the other options would be nice.

Kirk

Message Edited by kjevans on 09-03-2008 01:54 PM
Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Contributor
My Device: Q10

Hi Kirk.

I can only symapathise, it took a few days to get my Bold correctly setup with Orange. It's a great unit once you get it #going, so hang in there.

Here's somethings I discovered, you may already know them, but the info may be handy to you (or anyone else reading).

Once your Blackberry bundle is setup you have to go to http://www.blackberry.orange.co.uk/  to setup your email. Orange did give me the bundle but then didn't tell me I had to go to the website! The second option to setup your email detailed in the quick-start guide only appears once you've done the website.

Orange somehow mucked up my setup and I didn't have the Blackberry Internet Browsing Service book, so watch out for that. When I rang up and complained the first person i spoke to had no idea what I was on about. I tried again and they got the right service books sent to me (156 Option 4 and the option 2).

The GPS took ages to refresh the first time so give it time. Make sure you're out in the open too.

Googlemaps (and I assume googlesync) won't work without the APN setting being put in (Orange supply the phone without it - geniuses). In the Options go Advanced Options then TCP and then put in orangeinternet. Username and password is blank.

I seem to have an issue with calls dropping or signal going crazy. It's documented a lot on the forums. It seems to be solved by setting the network to 2G only rather than 3G. 

Hope you're up and ruunning soon.

Pradeep.

Regular Contributor

pradeepjey wrote:

Hi Kirk.

I can only symapathise, it took a few days to get my Bold correctly setup with Orange. It's a great unit once you get it #going, so hang in there.

Here's somethings I discovered, you may already know them, but the info may be handy to you (or anyone else reading).

Once your Blackberry bundle is setup you have to go to http://www.blackberry.orange.co.uk/  to setup your email. Orange did give me the bundle but then didn't tell me I had to go to the website! The second option to setup your email detailed in the quick-start guide only appears once you've done the website.

Orange somehow mucked up my setup and I didn't have the Blackberry Internet Browsing Service book, so watch out for that. When I rang up and complained the first person i spoke to had no idea what I was on about. I tried again and they got the right service books sent to me (156 Option 4 and the option 2).

The GPS took ages to refresh the first time so give it time. Make sure you're out in the open too.

Googlemaps (and I assume googlesync) won't work without the APN setting being put in (Orange supply the phone without it - geniuses). In the Options go Advanced Options then TCP and then put in orangeinternet. Username and password is blank.

I seem to have an issue with calls dropping or signal going crazy. It's documented a lot on the forums. It seems to be solved by setting the network to 2G only rather than 3G. 

Hope you're up and ruunning soon.

Pradeep.

Hi Pradeep.

yeah, I am all up and running now and have already figured out most of what you say here.

My googlemaps & googlesync work fine and I have not set the APN bit, what is APN anyway.

Thanks though for keeping me posted.

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Contributor
My Device: Q10

No worries. Glad it's all sorted.

Pradeep.