Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
cgeorge
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: at&t

Mute Button slowly stops working on Bold 9000 (multiple devices)

[ Edited ]

I have a Bold 9000 on the AT&T network running v5.0.0.464. I'm having a problem with the Mute button (on top). I use the button to put the device into sleep/hibernation/whatever. I have had this problem with three devices (all 9000's) and have had each replaced because I was told that it was a hardware error by the AT&T rep. However, I have done some testing on additional devices (corp. environment) and have been able to reproduce the issue, or more accurately stated, I have been able to observe the issue occurring on each device in my test group over time.

Basically, when the device is new, the button works very snappy. Over time, looks like 2-3 months, the button begins to show intermittent issues and takes longer and longer being held down to activate the function (starting or sleeping). Eventually, this function has quit working on every device I've tested (out of the box devices with no apps beyond the delivered ones installed). Removing the battery repeatedly and on a regular schedule of once a week has not had an impact on the issue during testing or in Prod. Being new to supporting these devices I looked around and did some searching but haven't found a solution that has worked for our situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA, CJ

Please use plain text.
drsmith51
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Mute Button slowly stops working on Bold 9000 (multiple devices)

having the same problem with my 9000...any ideas out there?

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Strange mine has never done that.

I remember reading an article about it thought that they were going to stop having that button enter/exit standby though.

http://crackberry.com/your-mute-key-no-longer-working-stand-mode

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
keptin
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Found a solution to remove the corrosion on the mute button contacts using a bit of ACF-50 penetrating lubricant. It now works perfectly every time, ending weeks of frustration.

I wrote up a guide here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/longtime-bold-owner-s-fixes-dysfunctional-speakerphone-mute-button-...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
realized
My Device: Not Specified

Yeah, sadly this is a known and common problem with the Bold 9000. The problem seems to become more widespread because of OS 5.x – which requires use of the otherwise rather low-traffic button.

The only thing you can do is keep calling AT&T / whomever for a replacement while you are still under warranty – but once you are out of warranty you will be stuck with a broken phone that you can’t un-lock.

Please use plain text.
msuth
My Carrier: Rogers

I have been having this problem and losing my mind about it. Love my phone and don't want to change it. Took some r22 stabilant (contact enhancer and put it directly on the button, pressed it a few times and presto, work better than I remember it ever working. I will let you know if any further problems occur as per putting liquid on my phone. But so far so good.

Please use plain text.
themostluckyguy
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: telstra

U can download a app called ultimate lock. install it, it simply lock BB by press the app logo, slide by trackball to unlock the BB. no mute key needed. I am using it now.:Clap:

Please use plain text.