Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Visitor
TNFgamma
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: User

My BB Bold 9900 thinks it has a Trackball

Hi!

I recently got a BB Bold 9900. The first day everything went fine but then suddenly the Trackpad does not work any more. Clicking is still possible but scrolling is not. I've figured out that in the settings menu the option for setting the sensitivity for touchpad and trackpad the menu point "trackpad sensitivity" has changed to "trackball sensitivity". So I figure that by some software error the device now tries to operate the trackpad as a trackball and therefore it does not work properly any more.

I tried a reset but that did not solve the problem.

Any experience with that problem?

Cheers

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
skylarmacrae
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: My BB Bold 9900 thinks it has a Trackball

Hey bro. I just had the same problem about 5 minutes ago. I did about 6 battery pull resets and finally got it to work. I'd say keep trying and make sure that you keep the trackpad free of residue. Strange problem. Not sure how a blackberry without a trackball can think it has one. Best of luck to you. Just keep doing resets. If that doesn't work then you might consider restoring the device to a previous backup when the trackpad was working properly.

Skylar
Please use plain text.
menglim
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

it happened to me too. I tried a lot of battery pulls and its still the same.

Pressing on the trackpad to select works but swiping it left and right or up and down doesnt work

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DariusG1996
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Hi

I have got a BlackBerry Curve 9360 that , in the setting says TrackBALL sensitivity instead of TrackPAD Sensitivity :smileysad: (It doesn't have a Trackball)

In the settings it even shows a picture of a TrackBALL ????? I have checked Audible roll and no sound has been made. I think the software/Trackpad is listening/tracking  ROLLS instead of swipes, across the trackpad :smileysad:

It used to say trakpad, up until it stopped working......

So, my REAL issue... I was OKAY to search for everything to get around the phone, pressing space and enter...

(The trackpad clicks but doesn't scroll)  I was advised by T-Mobile to UPDATE the phone SO now! It is Running OS 7.1.... When a BlackBerry is updated, you MUST accept the Terms and conditions for the usage of the software, YOU HAVE to scroll to the bottom :'( I can't scroll, so I am just greeted with a long message about copyright to RIM/BlackBerry :@

So my phone is utterly useless I think it is a software malfunction because it worked fine and when I picked it back up, the trackpad didn't work :smileysad: Any ideas as to how I can fix this? PLEEASE?

It is NOT under warranty, and I refuse to pay to get it fixed £20-£40! I KNOW it is a software malfunction, it HAS to be

Also I have downloaded app like SOTI, to try and navigate around the phone with a virtual keyboard (etc). 

Sorry about the ESSAY :smileytongue: any help would be REALLY appreciated :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
saadsaidi
My Carrier: MTN NG

Same issue here, it happned (out doors under the sun) when I was trying to scroll down a contact list

and there is still nothing I tried 15 hard resets

Any suggestions

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
craigashy
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Orange/EE. UK

Hi, this does sound strange, have you tried a clean reload of the phones operating system (OS) to see if this rectifies the issue.

Craig Ashcroft Elite UK
If this post helps you please click the LIKE below the post(s)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
djulian
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: vodacom

My blackberry bold 9900 use a trackpad but in the settings I see "trackball" and the trackpad don't work I'm thinking in reload the OS because I'm using the last 7.1 OS and the phone just update to a new system someone know how I can reload the system?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DariusG1996

Hey, haven't been on this post for a while....

I'm going to put you out of your misery.... I thoroughly believed that my phone had a software issue when it said trackball.....

How wrong was I???

VERY... I URGE YOU 110% NOT TO RELOAD OR UPDATE THE PHONE - It will be rendered useless!!!

When I did this... I successfully updated the phone... However I couldn't use it... Why?

Because I couldn't get past the End User Licence Agreement - which, by the way, requires you to scroll - A LOT.... All the way down to the bottom, to tick. ' I agree ' 

Please do not do this... I put up with no trackpad for 7 months + on the 6th month... I updated the software 

I managed to bypass the EULA by making emergency calls whilst I had no signal *risky * but whilst in the call, i exited to homescreen and ticked the setup box that makes the message disappear! 

It's way too complicated to explain... 

After 7 months,  I bought a new trackpad for £4.95 off eBay, fitted it myself,  and i could of cried when I had a trackpad again :'D 

Sorry for the essay... But I seriously do not recommend you restoring or resetting or updating your phone!! Bad Move - It's not even a software fault, it's a hardware fault! 

Hope this post helped before things got ugly :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DariusG1996

If you can't decifer whether it's a software fault, then look into your trackpad up close, if you do not see a small red laser light, then it could be broken.... Just get a new trackpad or hey, why not a Z10?

Btw, you cannot press. T or B or space to scroll to the bottom of the EULA! If you could, then you still can't press enter or anything like that to tick. I agree. Yiu need to scroll

Perhaps try restating the phone a few times to see what haooenes? :smileywink:
Please use plain text.