Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Tmobile

My Best Gmail Solution

I had been very frustrated with Gmail App's lack of ability to label emails, and BB's Advanced Plugin for Gmail's inability to see archived mail.   You cannot "combine" the Plugin into the messages view on your blackberry, and clearly the App needs to be a separate program, so you have to manage your Gmail outside of your other messages. 

I decided that if I was going to have to do that anyway, I would rather not have me email in the messages view altogether.  There is no way to do that.  If you choose to keep your email and SMS separate, your google talk, and blackberry messenger messages still go into the main messaging application.  So, I decided to "unpush" my gmail.  I deleted my  gmail account on the internet email setup page, and now all my sms, mms, google talk, blackberry messenger, and facebook messages all come into the main messaging app, and I manage my Gmail through the gmail app.  The only problem is that I can't use the native BB menu to compose new mail.  If I select a contact in Contacts, and try to send them an email, it tells me no email account is configured.

So, I went back to having BOTH the Plugin and the App. I put them in a folder called "communication" on my home screen.  I also put my google talk and BB messenger and facebook apps in there too.  A nice feature is that if you have any new items in any of those apps, the parent folder (communication) shows the "new" star.  Now the problem is that if I mark a message as read in the Plugin, it does not mark it as read in the main messages folder and so the little envelope indicator at the top of my screen stillindicates that I have unread emails.  I have to go into the main messages application and mark it as read there too. How ridiculous is this?

Retired
My Device: 9000, 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: My Best Gmail Solution

Hi,

In this case i would recommend wiping the BlackBerry smartphone. To do this we would need to back up the BlackBerry smartphone. Please open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and connect your BlackBerry smartphone. Click on the Backup and Restore button and select Back Up. Please note the location where the backup is being saved as we will need to access it later to restore the BlackBerry smartphone.

Once backed up please follow the link below to perform a security wipe of your BlackBerry smartphone.

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14058

Test the BlackBerry smartphone and proceed with a selective restore as outlined below.

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

Thank you

-DrP

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Tmobile

How is that a solution to my problem?  Will wiping my Blackberry change the features of the Advanced Plugin for Gmail?  I think you made a mistake.

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon