Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

TKitching
My Device: Blackberry Bold

My Bold 9900 software update experience.

In the middle of November I saw an ad stating that if I update my software for my bold that there would be some free apps to go with it.  I thought to myself that this is great.  I connected my bold to my laptop and began the process.  A short time later I got an error message and to retry.  I didn't retry right away but when I did have a moment to do so  nothing happened.  My bold sat idle with a black screen and a red light that would flash from time to time.  I tried charging it (though I know the power level was fine) but that did nothing.  I then decided to do a little research online, low and behold I am not the only person to have this happen to their bold.  I went through several trouble shooting steps, still nothing.  At that point I called RIM,  RIM refered me to my signal provider as is their odd policy being that they made my phone and Bell simply carries my signal.  I called Bell and they then transfered my to.... you guessed it RIM.  Once I had RIM back on the line I was put in contact with this most undertrained (long stretches of dead air, talking to her manager for advice, etc)  person I have ever dealt with.  She simply took me through the same steps I had already found online.  I tried to explain this to her but she stuck to her script and wasted 2 plus hours of my day.  At the end of the call she refered me to the nearest Bell World were they would certainly replace my phone I was assured.  I drove to the nearest Bell store (half hour drive) There I was told within 30 seconds that the phone was broken and needed to be sent for repairs.  A week later I received a call from Bell World telling me that my phone was broken and that it was due to physical damage.  Odd I thought as it was working perfectly until the attempted software update.  As I was down with the flu at the time I asked the Rep from Bell to call me back later.  Within 5 minutes I received a call from RIM regarding a customer satisfaction survey that I filled out following my 2 hour call with RIM customer support.  Now I will admit that I was very upset and angry and did lose my temper and swear a lot, but by the end of the call I was assured that this Rep I was talking to was going to contact Bell World and that he would have them ship the phone to RIM for repairs and that without a doubt I would have a working phone once again.  It is now Jan 7 and I thought enough time had passed.  I contacted Bell World as it is the only contact info I had and was told that my phone had been sitting there since the day the called me in November. 

I now have no idea who to contact to follow up with the promises made to me.   Anybody have any idea of how I can follow up on this or Plan B how to fix my phone. 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: My Bold 9900 software update experience.

Unfortunately, this forum is just a peer-to-peer support community where regular users like you and I help each other out with their device issues.

The issue you describe is definitely a problem with Bell Support. The way the support system works is that all service goes through your provider (Bell.) Bell should resolve your problem and if they can't, they can escalate the case to RIM. If RIM then decides that the device needs to be replaced then it is up to your carrier to provide that replacement or service. Some carriers just replace the device with a new/refurbished one but some are cheap like Bell and attempt to repair the device leaving the customer without a phone that entire time.

Your only recourse for this is through Bell....sorry to say.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.