If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
Nadineroias
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: A&T

My blackberry 9900 wont turn on!! HELPPP

I got a blackberry 9900 no less than 2 days ago, I havent dropped it or wet it or anything it is in perfect condontion. I left it to charge last night around 11 and woke up at 6 and it will not turn on at all the only thing that happens is the LED light keep flashing red every 30 seconds, i have tried taking out the battery and putting it back, i have also tried leaving it to charge and plugging it into my computer, nothing is working PLEASE HELP i cant afford a new phone at the monet!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: My blackberry 9900 wont turn on!! HELPPP

Hi Nadineroias,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

Is your BlackBerry® Desktop Software able to connect with BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 smartphone? If so, try backing up your data and reloading your BlackBerry® Device Software. Please see this KB article for further instructions. http://bbry.lv/bpv7DT

If the BlackBerry Desktop Software is not able to detect the BlackBerry smartphone, you may need to start the software reload without the battery inserted, reinserting it only after the software reload has started. This article will provide the steps. http://bbry.lv/onZ4Wf

This process will remove all your data. If you have a previously taken backup file, you will be able to restore your information from that backup.

Hope this helps.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ppk89
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Three 3

It still won't work. When I click on 'Update...'  it will show me 'no software updates available'  and after that only asks me whether I want to subscribe with my email. Doesn't mention at all 'view other versions'!!!

Besides when is starts searching for the new updates I can hear the sound od pplugging in and unplugging the USB - which I am not doing. :No:

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
techlawyer
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

I should first mention that I am not a Blackberry expert -- unlike some of the folks who post on this forum, many of whom have lots of experience dealing with various BB problems.   I also should mention that I have a 9930, not a 9900 as you do.

However, your problem sounds exactly like what i went through in November.  I plugged my phone in to charge one night, woke up the next morning and, instead of the green light that I expected to see (indicating that the unit was fully charged), I encountered a slowly blinking red light and was unable to turn the phone on.  After dealing with Verizon and RIM techs, they determined that the phone could not be restored and would have to be replaced -- which is what I did.  It turns out that this was a known problem with both the 9930 and the 9900.  You can read about my experiences -- and those of other people -- as well as the various remedies that were tried -- on the thread on this board entitled "Blackberry Bold 9930 Died and Cannot be Restored . . ."

I believe that the recent OS upgrade for both the 9900 and the 9930 was intended, in part, to address this problem.  But there seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether the problem has been solved.  Towards the end of the referenced thread, you will see a link to a recent ZDNet article indicating that some people continue to have this problem even after installing the OS upgrade.

It may well be that one of the smart folks who regularly monitor and respond on this board may be able to help you restore your BB.  However, you should also be prepared for the possibility that your phone cannot be restored and will have to be returned for repair or replacement.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ppk89

To be honest I don't beliebe in solving the problem thorugh this website at all. But I think I am just lying to myself and wasting my time with forums only because I am in a stupid disposition.

My real problem is that I got my device from Ebay - secand hand. The phone is in perfect condition (on the outside) so I was really happy with it until it went off. And now I have no warranty nor any company I can want something from. I think the only option is to get in touch with a BlackBerry Service or something but I still don't believe they would take any responsibilty as I am not the first buyer. :Rockon:

will try though.....

Please use plain text.
FrankieS

Hi ppk89,

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with this. From the way you described the connect and disconnect noises, it sounds like your BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 smartphone may not be maintaining a steady connection to the computer. Are you able to maintain a connection long enough to take a backup file?

If so, I would advise backing up, then removing the battery and again trying to start a reload of the BlackBerry® Device Software, without reinserting the battery until after the software load starts. 

This KB article should provide further instructions. http://bbry.lv/onZ4Wf

This will remove all data, so I would advise having a backup file if possible before starting this process.

Hope this helps.

-FS

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ppk89

Hello, FrankieS! Thank you for your message. 

I think I do have a problem with keeping my phone connected to my PC. 

As soon as I connect my phone to the computer the red LED comes on and on the screen (of the PC) appears a dialog window saying: 'BlackBerry Desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device'; If the device is rebooting or has a dead battery, click on Retry to reconnext once the device reboots. 

If clicking Retry doesn't connect the decice, or the device isn't rebooting with a charged battery, you might need to update your BlackBerry Device Softeware to correct the problem.  At the bottom of this text is written: Troubleshoot your device connection.  And in the right bottom corner I have three options:   Retry, Update...and Close.

If I press retry - nothing happens. Only that the same window reappears. 

if I press Update... - is starts checking for Updates but the red LED light disappears and I can hear the sounds of disconnecting the USB (actually the same happens every 10 seconds or less even if I don't choose any of the mentioned above options). After a few seconds it says that there are no updates available and asks for email. 

If I press the troubleshooting options it tells me what the problem could be and that I should update my device software by connecting my phone to the PC....and the circle starts anew. :Helpsmilie:

Please use plain text.
Rayray21
My Device: BOLD 9900
My Carrier: Telstra

Hi, i was having the exact same dramas!  Brand new from phone shop and i only had it for a few days....  Im not entirely sure what has happened exactly, but my phone has been brought back to life!

I followed the process that the tech suggested to you, and like you i had that message come up.  All i did from that point was put my battery back in my device and started the process again.  and low and behold my phone is turning on and updating!!  YAY!

I know you said that there was no update available to you...  since you have only had it a couple of days you are probably up to date with it. 

Im a novice when it comes to this stuff, but maybe if you checked on your desktop software on a daily basis, i would assume there are updates happening frequently and you may just need to wait for a new one to come out to be able to sort out your phone....  Again im definately a novice in this area, but i hope it may help you.  You post has definately helped me out. 

Thanks

ppk89 wrote:

Hello, FrankieS! Thank you for your message. 

I think I do have a problem with keeping my phone connected to my PC. 

As soon as I connect my phone to the computer the red LED comes on and on the screen (of the PC) appears a dialog window saying: 'BlackBerry Desktop software cannot communicate with the connected device'; If the device is rebooting or has a dead battery, click on Retry to reconnext once the device reboots. 

If clicking Retry doesn't connect the decice, or the device isn't rebooting with a charged battery, you might need to update your BlackBerry Device Softeware to correct the problem.  At the bottom of this text is written: Troubleshoot your device connection.  And in the right bottom corner I have three options:   Retry, Update...and Close.

If I press retry - nothing happens. Only that the same window reappears. 

if I press Update... - is starts checking for Updates but the red LED light disappears and I can hear the sounds of disconnecting the USB (actually the same happens every 10 seconds or less even if I don't choose any of the mentioned above options). After a few seconds it says that there are no updates available and asks for email. 

If I press the troubleshooting options it tells me what the problem could be and that I should update my device software by connecting my phone to the PC....and the circle starts anew. :Helpsmilie:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ppk89

Hi! I am glad things have worked in your case.

However, did you read my posts properly? I mean, I mention at one point that when I connect my phone to the PC the red LED starts flashing on and off and it makes sounds as if I am connecting and disconnecting it all the time. Did yours do the same? I thought this is the reason why it doesn't show me Updates available - because it can't connect properly witht the device.!?!?!?

Coming to think of it I remember now that not long ago I updated most of the programs on my phone so this might be a reason as well. Anyway, I have subscribed with my email for new versions so hope to get one through soon. :Angel:

Please use plain text.
FrankieS

Hi ppk89,

In order to reload your software, please take a backup of your data using the BlackBerry® Desktop Software then connect your BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 smartphone to a PC without the battery inserted and try to start a BlackBerry® Device Software reload without reinserting the battery until the reload process has started.

This KB article "How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader" provides further steps. www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11320

If you are unable to take a backup of your data, you will need a previously taken backup file to restore your data from as this procedure will remove all data.

Hope this helps.

-FS

Please use plain text.