Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Bagelbush
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

My blackberry bold 9700 wont connect to wifi

I have a blackberry bold 9700 and i got it a few days ago and every since then ive been trying to get the wifi working.The phones unlocked by the way.

I set up the wifi fine  but  in manage connections i have my network in green beside my wifi and a white tick to the right and its supposed to be a green checkmark im assuming.

No matter what i do my wifi symbol wont light up white its still grey and i set up the wifi and it says it succesfully connected but still no wifi.

Is it my phone settings or my internet or my phone i dont know right now im so confused.

and i have a linksys router and im with rogers,and im new to blackberrys.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My blackberry bold 9700 wont connect to wifi

The white tick means you are connected to the WiFi roter.

A green check mark would indicate that you're connected to the WiFi router AND to your BlackBerry BIS data plan. Do you have this Data Plan on your mobile provider account?

If not, call them and inquire.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bagelbush

NO i dont want a data plan thats why i wanted to use wifi and does that mean if i use internet things and im home its using my wifi not my 3g phone networks internet and it doesnt cost me.. well like the billing doesnt come out throught my phone networks it comes out of my home internet?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

lol, YES!

Your WiFi is working.

So, you're good to go with WiFi and using ONLY the hotspot browser (Options > Advanced > Browser).

You won't get email, internet browser, BlackBerry Messenger, Maps, etc., nor any of the apps that require data from your plan. Those using WiFi will work.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bradf111
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700

Re: My BlackBerry Bold 9700 won't connect to wi-fi

This is confusing me so much. I have two BlackBerry phones, a Bold 9700 and a Curve 8900, that I both bought in London, England. They were under Orange network before and I had them both unlocked so I could use my other SIM cards from O2 and Vodafone. Whenever I was home, I was automatically connected to the Internet through wi-fi and the phones ran even faster and better.

Last week, I traveled from London to Manila and of course I brought both my phones with me and I immediately bought two prepaid SIM cards for both phones and the phones worked. But I got very disappointed when I found out that my BlackBerry Bold 9700 won't connect to wi-fi where I'm staying. The Curve 8900 has no problems at all as it is able to connect to wi-fi even without my UK and Philippine SIM. How is this possible? I have been trying to figure out how to connect to wi-fi but all my attempts were all in vain. As I discovered when I was figuring out why my Curve can connect to wi-fi and my Bold can't or won't, my Curve 8900 is still connected to Orange and it seems like the BlackBerry service I have in England were in "roaming" because as I saw it in Advanced Options>Host Routing Table, my Curve 8900 is connected to Orange World and has UK GPRS connections and my Bold 9700's Host Routing Table content is empty. How is this possible and what can I do to make my Bold 9700 connect to wi-fi services? Isn't it strange that my Curve 8900 is working even without SIM card and my Bold 9700 isn't?

Please use plain text.
Visitor
mikesmith36

This (in my experience) is usually caused by having the wrong encryption selected. Also are you sure your router settings are ok? I have mac address control activated and have to manually add new devices, could that be it? You woukd know if you have mac control as it is not a default setting. If you can I would temporarily deactivate encryption and see if it connects, you can then reactivate encryption once you have seen the result. Don't leave an open network permanently though! One last thing, you don't mention whether you have entered your network password on the blackberry, does it ask for one? Sounds to me as if the wireless network is detected by the blackberry, problem is gaining access to it. Hope this helps - Michael
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bradf111
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700

Hello Michael,

The router settings are okay. Both the phone's wi-fi settings were activated at almost the same time with only 1-2 minutes difference and both the screen say "connected" to wi-fi and the router's or wi-fi's name appear next to the carrier's or cellular network's name. And yes, it asked for a password before I could access the Internet. This was both the case for my phones, but only one of them can really access the wi-fi without a SIM card and without a data or BlackBerry Service provided on a plan by a cellular network.

I think you are right that it has something to do with the encryption because on my BB Curve8900, the UK network Orange's settings found in Advanced Options are left stored on the phone while the BB Bold 9700 is empty.

Please help if you can.

Thanks!

Bernard

Please use plain text.
CMP123
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

I ran into the same problem.  I just switched from a LinkSys router to Netgear Range Max and my BB required me to enter a Pin into the Router.  Make sure you're near Netgear router because there's a button you'll need to push.  First, here's what I did on my BB:

BB

1.  Select Manage Connections

2.  Set Up WIFI Network

3.  Scan for Networks

4.  Selected my WiFi Network

5.  Generated PIN

Next,

NetGear Setup

1.  Log into your NetGear Admin Page.  UserName: Admin - Password: Password

2.  Click Add WPS Client

3.  Click NEXT

4.  Select PIN as Setup Method

5.  NEXT

6.  Enter BB PIN

7.  NEXT

8.  On the router, hold the PUSH BUTTON for a few seconds.

9.  Can't remember the final step but it's either SAVE or NEXT. 

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
azadb
My Device: Bold 9700

Well I have tried Everything written on all the forum's, but still the Wifi sign is grey, there is no green check mark, and also whn I run Wifi Diagnostics there's a cross on connection.... I simply have tried everything....

I spoke to my vendor, gave me a solution which was not practical, but I will share it, 

Go to Internet browser, General settings... choose hotspot browser

back 

browser config... choose hotspot browser

save....

it should work for ur wifi, but if one has to use GPRS EDGE service then has to change settings back to original....

I had Bold9000 earlier, and it used to work fine without changing any settings, but 9700 has its own problems....

If anyone frm blackberry can throw more light on it

Please use plain text.
Visitor
wsminksark
My Device: Bold 9700

Ok ... I am also facing the same issue with BOLD 9700.

• I have changed to HOTSPOT with the help of Vodafone customer support
  • The SSID & the pre-shared key is entered correctly and the wi-fi shows as Connected. 
  • But the Wi-fi logo is carrying the SSID name but there is no green check mark.
  • I could connect to the websites couple of times however, it doesnt work any more.

Now I dont know if that has to do with the Zyxel router [very basic one] but a technician already visited my place with little joy.

Do I need to enter the BB PIN ? I dont see any option though.

Thanks in advance for help !

Please use plain text.