Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
YahyaSamarrai
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Zain
Accepted Solution

My blackberry bold 9780 fell and it won't turn on

It fell and hit the floor pretty hard, it just shut off, I thought the battery just discharged on its own so I took it out and put it back in, nothing happened not even a red light. I put it on the charger and the same thing happened, nothing. How can I fix this?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: My blackberry bold 9780 fell and it won't turn on

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

It is of course also possible that the fall has damaged something inside, rendering the device now useless. But that can only be properly diagnosed by a qualified hardware technician with the device in their hands.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
YahyaSamarrai

Thank you very much, I'll sure try that. If something was damaged on the inside, is there anyway I can retrieve my contacts? I have around 600+ phone contacts
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

If the device will not power on, then there is nothing that can interface with it and retrieve any data from it (save for anything that happens to be on the Media Card, which can be extracted and read via a card reader on a computer). There is an old saying, btw...

• There are two kinds of computing device users -- those who have lost data, and those who will

Backups, like insurance, are neither a reactive nor optional activity. Fortunately, RIM provides multiple free methods to conduct backups, but it does lie with the user to actually decide to use them. If you did, then your data is safe as of the last time you used one of those methods. If you did not, then you have migrated from the latter to the former part of that old saying...

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
YahyaSamarrai

I do remember doing a backup, although I don't know where the files are saved, do you know where I can find them? Just to check everything is fine
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

If you backed up to your computer via the RIM Desktop Software, then your data is in a proprietary-format file with either IPD or BBB extension (depending on the version of the Desktop Software you used). The location of the backup file(s) would be wherever you specified when you took the backup...typically somewhere in the My Documents hierarchy, but the user has 100% control to override that if they so choose. Search your hard drive for files with IPD and BBB extensions.

However, natively, you cannot read those files...they are proprietary, and intended to be used as the source of restore. But there are 3rd party readers out there that can parse and present the data to you on your computer.

On the other hand, if you backed up your data via BB Protect, then your data is "in the cloud" and attached to your BBID. This data cannot be "read" at all, and can only be used to restore to a BB via BB Protect.

On the 3rd hand (three hands???), if you were synchronizing with a desktop organizer (e.g., Outlook), then your data is also there.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.