Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
heypax
My Device: Not Specified

My new Blackberry 9000 is unstable. Where do I go from here?

Since purchased on Dec. 24, 2008 (seven weeks ago), my Blackberry Bold has crashed twice with only basic applications loaded, and I've wiped or totaly rebuilt it twice (see full story in BACKGROUND DETAILS, below).

CONFIGURATION:

ATT BIS, ATT Blackberry Bold (9000), iMac running latest OS-X, iCal, Address Book, Missing Sync, gMail (with IMAP configured according to Google's online help recommendations), and one other non-Gmail IMAP webmail/email account for my job.

-- My application data seems to be clean on the standard Mac OS-X core applications.
-- My sync utility, Missing Sync, seems to be working OK.
-- My two gMail accounts (with IMAP enabled) seem to be working OK.
-- My IMAP work email/webmail account seems to be working OK.
-- ATT Navigator and WSJ reader seem to be working OK.
-- Browser configured as Hotspot Browser. Not using Media Browser or WAP Browser.
-- I have not downloaded any other application software, ringtones, Themes, music, etc, onto the phone.

QUESTIONS:

1. Did I violate an undocumented boundary by putting the Messages folder and two email account folders inside the Applications Folder?
2. Does the Gmail Mobile App cause Blackberry system instability?
3. Does the Gmail IMAP procedure for Blackberry cause system instability?  (See the Gmail online help pages)
3. Is there some corrupt data in my databases? (Seriously doubt this: There is no sign of problems in the Mac Address Book or iCal.)
4. Is this version (4.6.0.298 [build 157]) of the system and core applications software of the Blackberry Bold inherently unstable?

BACKGROUND DETAILS:

Before buying the Blackberry (after 13 years on Palm devices), I started seriously studying the technical specs and reading forums on BB configuration, synchronization, and mapping of address book, calendar, tasks (to-do items), and memos (notes) in mid-November, 2008. I bought the BB 9000 from ATT on 12/24/2008 and started trying to port my data from Palm Treo 650, Windows XP, MS Outlook to iMac Address Book, iCal and a Mac-compatible "notes/memos" application. I selected Missing Sync as my synchronization utility because it was the least objectionable option. It provides a notes/memos application, it supports the majority of the fields I use regularly (but not all of them), and it theoretically provides sync with iTunes, iPhoto, and limited sync of "folders" with "a folder" on the Mac. I have deferred testing the music, photo and folder features until after the contact, calendar, and email applications are working reliably.

The "Blackberry Project" has consumed nearly every minute of my weekends and evenings since 12/24. Data transfer was a nightmare. Mapping my accustomed application functionality and procedures from the old Palm device to the world of Mac and Blackberry has been a pain. But at least the basic telephone functions are working OK.

In the first few days, I had a couple (several) false starts and I soon realized the data was corrupted. Much of the initial difficulty was due to Microsoft Excel truncating text fields exported from Microsoft Outlook, running under Windows XP. I lost all my notes on contacts. Custom user fields from the Treo were lost. Etc. And wasted tons of time. But, along the way...

-- I discovered how to get gMail via IMAP. Finally got it working, more or less.
-- I was getting duplicate calendar entries, so, following a Blackberry Support Forums posting, I removed all the ...CAL entries from the service book except for the "default". I did not delete the corresponding SMIME entries.
-- I discovered the limitations of mapping categories (groups) in Address Book on BB and Mac (OS X, latest or near-latest build).
-- I discovered the limitations to mapping calendar categories (one... versus many) on BB and iCal.
-- I figured out the basic operations of Missing Sync configuration and learned to deal with some of its behavioral quirks...
-- And I found ways to work around various undocumented features of various software...

With no data, and various partial data, I limped along with the problems for a few days, but there were some major obstacles on the horizon.

When I finally had ported from Treo and Outlook to the core Mac Address Book and iCal applications (via Outlook, export to Microsoft Access, Bento, and manual one-by-one editing of 3000+ records, etc) and had figured out the detailed mapping, and had re-mapped and cleaned up my application data (contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes) and had them working and backed-up on the Mac, I decided -- since after all this trouble I now have the full functionality of the Mac applications (much of which is lost when used with Blackberry) -- to return our BB's and get iPhones instead, seeing trouble ahead. I wiped my BB and my wife's BB and packed them up and took them to the ATT store on January 23 (I put it off for several days, after counting the days on the calendar, until the first day when I had time available during business hours to leave my workplace and exchange the units -- which happened to be, according to my count, the last day of my 30 day trial period for the BB devices).

But my count of the 30 days was one less than ATT and I was stuck with the BB. Which is certainly a good place to be stuck, but which causes problems for Mac users who are trying to sync some moderately robust databases.

---

So I set up generic Gmail accounts and began pushing the data from the Mac to my 'wiped' phone. 

And I reconfigured the environment, all the setup.

Then I converted my Gmail accounts to IMAP.

And used the phone for several days with lots of data on board.

After several rounds of iterative refinement, it seemed like things were going to work OK.  This was Feb. 10.

When the phone seemed to be working and all seemed to be about done, I made one last sync with Mac Address Book and iCal to back up my clean data -- and just when I thought I was done, I was back to square one.

I had learned to be very careful and read all of the synchronization messages from Missing Sync, since the behavior was somewhat unpredictable.  Fortunately, I noticed a couple of illogical entries in the synchronization dialog with Missing Sync and decided to abort the sync.

A couple of records were going to be merged by error, and another record was going to be deleted. So I aborted the sync several times after trying to adjust the data, but I could not avoid sync errors by any simple changes. I kept my data clean on the Mac, and worked with what I had on the BB just to try to determine the cause.

Missing Sync was "acting up" and giving illogical reports. I wondered if this program was the cause of the problems. I wondered if Address Book had corrupted my data.

Wasted a lot of time trying to sort out these concerns.

The BB was displaying "uncaught exception" errors, etc.

Address Book was making several duplicates of every new record I tried to enter during testing.

BB desktop would not display the ABBU database, so I could not delete it.

Could not make a backup file of the BB (an error occured while writing the backup file).

This meant I had to start over from scratch.

So, assuming I had good application data on the Mac, I proceeded to blow away the BB and restore to original using the BB Desktop.

After completely rebuilding the Blackberry with a clean new install of current operating system and core application software (performed a Master Reset, using software from www.att.com/bbdownloads, with advice from ATT Blackberry Support on the telephone while I did it, and referring to notes gotten from Blackberry Support online forums).

I turned data back on:  (with blackberry setup [ATT] and wireless setup [reconfigured my home WiFi network])

and I registered the phone using the following procedure:  

Options | Advanced Options | Host Routing Tables | {Menu Key} Register Now

NOTE:  Registration may be necessary, but may be out of sequence here, may need to register after the 'service book' step below -- or the registration may come automatically when you send the service books. I have not tested this sequence yet.

Then I did a hard reset:  (i.e., I pulled the battery with power ON and waited a minute and then restarted).

I checked the email accounts (long, involved process, lots of little tests). They were receiving but not able to send.

I resisted the urge to delete all my email accounts and rebuild them.  Then, I found a similar issue on Blackberry Support forums and followed the directions, "to send the service books:"   

Email Setup | Service Books | Send Service Books

I wanted to removed the ATT and Blackberry advertisement from the signature line of my email messages, but resisted the pressure to create an ATT BIS login account (because I need to be able to change my work email password frequently and may not have access to a PC when I need to update the password -- and I am not sure what else happens, or what other doors you open when you set up this account).  So left the signature in place (for now).

I backed-up up my Address Book and iCal (thinking this was the "last time").

I checked my email to make sure all was working OK. Briefly checked the other apps. All seemed OK.

And then I decided to re-arrange the icons (since all was OK, it seemed like time to do a little customizing)...

I edited the Applications Folder icon (changed the color of the folder).

I changed the SMS/MMS option of the Messages Menu from "combined" to "separate."

I moved the "messages" folder and two of my three email folders into the Applications Folder.

I hid the Games and Downloads folders, and arranged the remaining Menu icons into four rows.

And while I was moving one of the icons on the menu to a different row to finalize the user-interface customization -- which was going to be the last little tweak before backing up the entire system on Blackberry Desktop -- at 0925 on February 14, the system crashed and displayed the following series of error messages, each appearing right after the previous one was acknowledged:

Uncaught exception:  net.rim.device.api.system.
UnsupportedOperationException
Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
Uncaught exception: java.lang.Error
Uncaught exception: ApplicationRegistry.waitFor(0x7491f7b6ae80681a)timeout
Uncaught exception: java.lang.Error
Uncaught exception: ApplicationRegistry.waitFor(0x7491f7b6ae80681a)timeout

When the error messages had stopped, I noticed several changes to the Menu and the Applications Folder:
1. The folder for my work email was gone from the Menu,
2. The Applications Folder icon had reverted to its original (un-customized) appearance,
3. The other two of my three email account folders were no longer present inside the Applications Folder,
4. The Camera and Video Camera icons were gone from the Menu, and
5. The SMS folder was gone from the Menu.

My first impression is this crash may have been caused by system not being able to update the Messages folder (and/or one of the email account folders) inside the Applications Folder. Maybe the loss of customization of the Applications Folder was caused by the hypothetical disturbance inside the folder, but I can't explain why the other icons disappeared from the Menu (except by a broader extension of the same hypothetical "disturbance").

Where do I go from here?

1. Did I violate an undocumented boundary by putting the Messages folder and two email account folders inside the Applications Folder?
2. Does the Gmail Mobile App cause Blackberry system instability?
3. Does the Gmail IMAP procedure for Blackberry cause system instability?  (See the Gmail online help pages)
3. Is there some corrupt data in my databases? (Seriously doubt this: There is no sign of problems in the Mac Address Book or iCal.)
4. Is this version (4.6.0.298 [build 157]) of the system and core applications software of the Blackberry Bold inherently unstable?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor

Re: My new Blackberry 9000 is unstable. Where do I go from here?

I have a similar problem. My BB bold deleted my sms inbox folder without warning now i cant recieve text messages dont know how to reverse this can you help thanks
Please use plain text.
Contributor
heypax

I'm not expert, but I've had similar phone problems and lived through it. :smileyhappy:

As they say in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" -- Don't Panic. Don't erase applications and destroy data yet. BB 9000's occasionally crash. But they almost always come back OK. The usual "take an aspirin and call me in the morning" solution is a 'reset' by removing the battery.

Have you tried this? It has worked several times when my mailboxes have disappeared or other times when various things suddenly stop working right. 

1. With power on (with screen lit, etc) - remove the back cover and remove the battery.

2. Wait a while. I don't know the minimum time, it's fairly flexible, you can experiment with it, but 30 seconds works.

3. Put the battery back in.

4. The system reboots. (Be patient here, Let it go through its whole reboot without interruption until the home screen comes back. I think it will do this automatically, but If it doesn't start by itself, press red "end call" button to turn on the phone as usual).

5. Repeat the process if things don't clear up.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jpankaj

I am facing the same issue -- BlackBerry Bold keeps getting crashed very often with the similar symptoms.

best,
Pankaj Jain
www.earlysail.com
http://download.earlysail.com/i_love_blackberry/
Please use plain text.
slinkywoman
My Device: BB Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

I have a similar problem with my Bold 9000.  I had a problem where my enterprise activated email stopped receiving incoming messages, but still received all the outgoing messages (weird), so my company reactivated the enterprise activation. 

For some reason that erased all other email account folders (five folders) so all incoming mail goes into the messages folder.  Deleting and reinstalling the email accounts did not bring back the email folders and I can no longer compose and send email from any personal email accounts, ONLY from my enterprise email account.

After the reactivation, the calendar stopped syncing, so I was once again reactivated.  The enterprise email and calendar now work fine --- still no email folders.  I have been checking forums all over the web.  I can find no solutions to this problem. 

Can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi there!

I suggest the following steps:

1) Register HRT

• Homescreen > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > BBKey (it does not matter which line is current) > Register Now

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.