Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: blackberry curve 9350
My Carrier: cricket

Need Help buying a new blackberry

I am with Cricket wireless and need a new blackberry.   I like the look of the bold 9930, however, I do remember my providers support telling me I needed to make sure that the phone was cdma.   So is it cdma? where can I get it at good prices?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Need Help buying a new blackberry

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There are many different technologies in the world for the carriers to choose from (CDMA is one, GSM is another, etc.)...but no individual handset can possible hold all necessary radios in order for it to function on all networks in the world. Further, each carrier can, even with their chosen technology, use various frequencies for their services. Hence, your handset must be compatible (physically -- the radio, technology, frequencies, etc.) with your chosen carriers network in order to actually function on that network.

What I actually recommend you first do is talk in more detail with Cricket to see what exact BB models (specific model numbers) they are compatible with. For with BBs, if the carrier does not support the specific BB model number, then it still may not fully function on their network for all services...only those natively-supported BB models can most easily be made to work on their network. So talk to Cricket about which specific BB models their network is capable of supporting, and then compare between those to choose what you prefer. I've always found this site useful for comparing:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.