Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

vinegartom
My Device: Not Specified

Need help! - struggling to tether Blackberry Bold to Macbook Pro on Orange UK

Hi all,

I have been trying for a very long time, with no success, to tether my blackberry bold to my macbook pro via bluetooth.

I am on the UK Orange network (on an unlimited data plan) and use OS X 10.5.8.

I have tried Generic, Blackberry 8800, and "Blackberry 3G CIDI" modem drivers, with a combination of different numbers, usernames and passwords.

I've tried *99# and orangeinternet as the phone number. In generic, where it is possible to enter the APN, I have entered orangeinternet.

Almost every time I get the message "Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again". Each time the phone and the mac are able to talk to each other, but they give up at the end.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

vinegartom
sbarras
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Need help! - struggling to tether Blackberry Bold to Macbook Pro on Orange UK

I am having the same problem.

Macbook Pro 10.5.8

Blackberry Bold 9000 v4.6.0.221

Orange UK

I have tried with the help of Orange Data support with no luck.

My friend also with Orange and Macbook pro but with BB 8900 is also unable to connect.

How many others are out there with the same problem?

We all seem to get the same final message after it tries to connect.

( Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again.)

Can anyone help us?

Cheers

Sheldon

Visitor
mckeje
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Need help! - struggling to tether Blackberry Bold to Macbook Pro on Orange UK

Hey Guys,

I am also having tethering issues with my Bold 9700 on 3G network.  I'm on macbook 10.5.8 and in Canada on Bell Mobility.  According to Bell Mobility all that is needed is to obviously pair phone to macbook, setup bluetooth connection selecting Sprint as the vendor, and PCS vision as the Model, use *99# as the phone number and that's it.  Does not work for me.

I just upgraded from my 8830 World Edition and had that tethered without any problems using generic host, dialup connection, #777 as phone number, bell cell email address as username, and 2067 as the password.  That took me three days to figure out 6 months ago but it worked excellent.  

Not sure if your Bold issues are the same as mine but I have not yet found one person that has been able to TETHER there BOLD 9700 to a macbook using bluetooth.

still working on it.........

paulr211
My Device: Blackberry 9700

I am having the same problem.  My Carrier is AT&T (Cingular). The modem dials  Attempts to authenticate and disconnects with the "Coult not negoitiate a connection with the remote PPP server...."

I was told that this model, Blackberry 9700 would tether with the Mac. but when I called AT&T support they said they only support Windows.

I am using the Blackbery 8100 modem script downloaded from the web.

n8diggity
My Device: 9700

I have a Blackberry 9700 on the Bell network and a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. I managed to tether it with no downloaded scripts, just out of the box set up.

Here goes...

1) Pair your phone
2) Continue to where you set up the network in the assistant.
3) Choose Sierra Wireless as the Vendor and GSM/3G use CID1
4) Use *99# for phone number
5) APN is inet.bell.ca
6) Username/Password are both guest.

Now go to system preferences/network/bluetooth DUN/ Click CONNECT and you can reply to this thread using ur newly tethered solution and tell me how cool it feels

Took me all day to get this so good luck and happy tethering!!

Find out your carriers actual settings in a google search if you're with Orange or anyone else

dbeechey
My Device: Bold 9000

I registered for an account just to say thank you!!! I have a 9000 with Bell and have been trying for hours to created a bluetooth DUN.

This is great thanks a bunch!

mrnubuck
My Device: Bold 9700

Success!!!: How to Tether Tmobile Blackberry Bold 9700 on Mac Os X via USB and Bluetooth

Long Post:

Modified from : onedread (found on tmobile forum on using phone as modem)

Re: How do I tether Mac OS to Blackberry 9700 Bold?

Posted on: 08-03-2010 08:45 AM

Tether Tmobile Blackberry Bold on Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.4

Initial Setup:

1. Downloadthe BlackberryModemScript.zip  (http://sites.google.com/site/claytonblogfiles/files/BlackberryModemScript.zip)
  2. Unzip and load the driver on the Macintosh. (copy and paste “.ccl” file (i.e., <blackberry.ccl> into Macintosh HD/Library/Modem Scripts; (delete text files--not needed, as these are not script files)
  3. Install Blackberry Manager http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/desktop_mac.jsp  (go to blackberry website) Once connected and recognized, your Mac will prompt you for the password to your Blackberry if you set one up.  If you use numbers for your unlock code, remember to try entering letters.

USB Tethering

1. connect your phone via usb. don't use data option
  2. once BB Manager see your phone do not sync.
  3. go to system preferences and select NETWORK
  4. if Rim Device is in the network option select it. You may want to  Name the configuration Blackberry Bold USB (to distinguish from Bluetooth). 
  5. where it says telephone number ENTER *99#
  6. where it says account name ENTER gprs
  7. where it says password ENTER gprs
  8. click on ADVANCED where it says Vendor select RESEARCH IN MOTION
  9. Where it says MODEL Select BLACK BERRY IP MODEM (GSM)
  10. Under the PPP tab, make sure “Use TCP header compression” is checked.
  11. where it says APN ENTER epc.tmobile.com
  12.  Click OK Then Click APPLY
  13. In Network Preferences, select Bluetooth DUN with the Blackberry configuration and click the Connect button to tether.

Bluetooth Tethering TMobile Blackberry Bold 9700 MAC OS 10.6.4

Modified from: claytonlong.blogspot.com/2010/01/tethering-your-mac-to-blackberry-bold_6866.html

Clayton’s blog includes all the screen shots, which I deleted from this version.  All the thanks go to Clayton for posting the original instructions, which unfortunately didn’t work for me.  I modified Step 5 and it works perfectly using “gprs” for the Account Name & Password.  (Credit to the OP in the steps above for USB connection for giving me the idea to make this adjustment in Step 5.)

1. First turn on Bluetooth on your Mac by going to System -> Preferences -> Bluetooth and checking the checkboxes next to On and Discoverable.

2. Next, in your Blackberry open Manage Connections and click Set Up Bluetooth. 

On the Add a Device screen click the Search button.

In the list of discovered devices, select your Mac.

Your Mac and your Blackberry should now display the same number.  If they do display the same number, click the button that acknowledges that fact on both your Mac and your Blackberry.

3. Configuring Dial Up Networking

Open Bluetooth Preferences by navigating to System Preferences -> Bluetooth.

Click on the Advanced button.

Bluetooth-PDA-Sync and SerialPort should display.  If not, click the + button to add SerialPort.

4.  Open Network Preferences by navigating to System Preferences -> Network.

Click the + button to add Bluetooth DUN.
In Network Preferences, Select Bluetooth DUN and click Add Configuration

5.  Name the configuration Blackberry Bold Bluetooth (to distinguish from USB). 

Telephone Number :  *99#

Account Name: gprs

Password:  gprs

Click the Apply button and then click the Advanced button. 

6.  On the Modem tab, select Research In Motion as the Vendor.

Select BlackBerry IP Modem (GSM) for the Model.

Enter epc.tmobile.com for the APN.

CID: 1 (other numbers may also work.)

Under the PPP tab, make sure “Use TCP header compression” is checked.

7.  Click OK. 

8.  In Network Preferences, select Bluetooth DUN with the Blackberry configuration and click the Connect button to tether.

mdraper
My Device: Bold 9000

I followed these instructions and it worked first time!!!!  Thank you!!!  Wish I had seen this post before I spent an hour with Bell Support.  They were not able to get it to work but this post did.  I registered for this forum just to say thank you!!!!!