Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

New E-Mail Message Indicators are Severely Off

I've had this problem ever since I changed out my old Curve for the new Bold.

I have 2 e-mail accounts delivered to my Blackberry.  A gmail account and a yahoo account.

The Bold is not recognizing when my new e-mails are no longer new in my e-mail accounts.  For instance, right now it's telling me I have 244 new e-mails in my gmail account, which is NOT accurate by any means.  My gmail account only has 32 new e-mails. 

I've checked all of my BB Options settings dozens of times.. Wireless Reconcile is set to "on"..  On Conflicts is set to "Mailbox Wins".. so this tells me that my gmail mailbox should be dictating what's displayed as "New" in my BB e-mail box, but it's not. There are "new" e-mails in my BB gmail account that are 3 weeks old, and they haven't been "new" in 3 weeks in my actual e-mail account.

BTW I'm having the same problem with my Yahoo account, but not to the extent that I am with gmail.

To try to control this problem, I've changed my "Keep Messages" to 15 days from 30 days, and deleted some of the new messages on my BB only by changing the Delete On to "Handheld" only...  even though I shouldn't have to manually delete e-mail messages twice (online and on the phone).. I've never had to do this before.

What is going on and how can I fix this?

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: New E-Mail Message Indicators are Severely Off

Have a device reset by pulling the battery out for 1 min. The issue will be resolved.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Contributor

Hi, I tried that and left the battery out for 2+ minutes, it didn't solve the problem.  My Blackberry Bold is still showing new e-mails that haven't been new in my actual e-mail account in several days.  And, even e-mails that were deleted online, are still showing as "new" on my cell phone!

Does anybody know why this is happening?  Even when I click "Reconcile Now", it does absolutely nothing.. no updates, nothing.  In the meantime, my new message indicator just keeps getting larger and larger, into the several hundreds until I go and manually delete the "new" e-mails on my cell phone.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

So I took my phone into AT&T this morning and was there for an HOUR.  The sales rep put me on the phone with tech support, who confirmed that all my e-mail settings and accounts were set up properly, and there was nothing that he could see was wrong w/my account or settings.  He said the problem might be with the phone itself. He suggested transferring me to their Data help line, who would then transfer me to Blackberry so Blackberry could open a ticket on this problem instead of AT&T.

While I'm on hold through all, this in-store sales rep discovers that my phone is less than 30 days old, and because of this, says he'll just swap out a new Bold for me for free since I'm within the 30 day grace period allowed by law.  This way I don't have to go through AT&T and then Blackberry to set up a ticket and wait for a response, which could take up to a week they said through Blackberry.

So an hour later, I leave with a new Bold in my hands.

Get home and test out my e-mail by sending an e-mail to my gmail account, which shows up immediately on my cell phone.  I then go into my web gmail account and delete this particular e-mail.  Does it delete on my cell phone?  Nope...  problem still exists, after all this!!

So 2 new phones are experiencing the same problem.. this tells me it's not the phone itself, but rather Blackberry's servers, or gmail?  But my Yahoo e-mail account is doing the same thing.. showing e-mails as "new" that I deleted online. 

Message Edited by southlake on 06-30-2009 02:43 PM
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Hi there!

FWIW -- There are a lot of discussions going on separately about how BIS does and does not, should and should not, reconcile with various email service providers. There are articles posted about how it should work, but some some inconsistent information has been discovered and there is presently an attempt underway to clarify all of it...please understand that it is not a simple task and involves much testing and validation. For the moment, the behavior you are seeing is indeed how it's presently working...the efforts underway are directed at either improving how it works (so that it matches the documentation) or at least getting the KB's written such that they document how it indeed does work. I know that doesn't help your present situation...but we all are in this together and attempting to find the right answers. As example, I as well have GMail and Yahoo accounts integrated to my BB...and it's a real pain in the you-know-where to keep them properly reconciled (I basically don't manage them in their web interface anymore...only via the BB).

Message Edited by sdgardne on 06-30-2009 02:53 PM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Hi, is this problem only existing with the Bold?  I'm wondering if I should go back to the Curve.  I wanted the new Curve 8900 but my husband surprised me with a new Bold instead, which was very nice of him and I'm grateful that he bought me a new phone, but I really wanted the Curve, and he said the sales rep talked him into the Bold due to the 3G aspect, which is not available on the Curve.

Now I'm wondering if I should switch this phone out again and go back down to Edge.  Will that solve my problem?

Hall of Famer II

The issue is device independent.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Does this problem exist on other Blackberry models besides the Bold?
Hall of Famer II

The issue is independent of what model BB you have...it exists across the BB spectrum of models. It is an issue at the BIS service level...the specific BB device does not impact the issue.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thanks for the more detailed explanation.  I guess I won't blame the phone then (which I kinda figured after the 2nd brand new Bold started immediately experiencing the same problem).

So annoying!