Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
joe61
My Device: Bold 9900

New OS 7.1 Universal Search

First post...not a real techy so excuse my long windedness...

I'm in Toronto on the Telus network using a Bold 9900. I'm always wary of downloading new software since it always happens just when I get comfortable with the older version.

Last week I received an upgrade notification from BB AppWorld. It stated there was a new OS available from China Unicom. It's 7.1 Bundle 2108 (v7.1.0.746, Platform 5.1.0.546). As I said, I'm not a techy, but my first question was "why from China Unicom?". It came through AppWorld so I figured it was safe and downloaded it.

Since the download, one thing I've noticed is that my Universal Search doesn't appear to be working as it did before.

I receive work instructions through email, with an attached purchase order in the format of an Excel document. Each purchase order has 10+ locations in the attached Excel document. In the past, to determine the correct purchase order number I would simply Uni-Search the address and within seconds the purchase order would pop up.

Since the download, when I try typing in an address that I KNOW is in a purchase order, all I get is "Bing" results and "Extended Search" results. It's as though the search feature is not even checking the phone. I KNOW the address is somewhere in the phone (downloaded and saved to Applications folder in the file cabinet thingy). In fact, I can manually scroll through the numerous purchase orders AND SEE IT...but search doesn't find it.

Does the new OS require that I set up new search parameters, is this thing flawed, or is it just my phone? I NEED MY UNIVERSAL SEARCH!!!

I've tweeted @BlackberryHelp, but no reply since last night. No information available on Crackberry, and nothing in the support forums yet (except an old thread stating that opening the messages folder, selecting search and typing the address would work...but it didn't).

Is it just me that is experiencing this, or is it a known glitch that I'm the first to find? In an effort to supply as much info as possible let me also state that when I receive the email containing the purchase order, I "download it"...hence the saving of the Excel attachment in the file cabinet thingy. I do NOT save the email however, so whenever and however it may get deleted, the file containing the address is still saved.

At the end of the day, nothing has changed from my end regarding the saving of the information, it's just that the new OS doesn't see or can't find what I KNOW is there.

HELP! Please and thanks.

Joe

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: New OS 7.1 Universal Search

Hi joe61

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

You seems to have a lots of problem , So I will try as much as I can and hope anyone else will take over the thread to resolve other issue.

As you told you are getting only BING and Extended Search when you type something in Universal Search ,To resolve that try this . On your HomeScreen Go to Options . Device > Search > On that Screen you have to edit your search parameter .If you don't want BING to be seen then UNcheck or UNtick the option " Show Web Suggestion " and it will not show BING or any other web based suggestion when you search. And if you want to disable  Extended Search  within that screen Scroll down to " Extended Provider "and Uncheck all field .

So you had to edit within that option the things that you want to be shown when you use Universal Search.

But I am still confused about the Update Notification that you mentioned , you mentioned your Carrier as Telus Mobility and the update must be from your Carrier but not from App World .

Prince

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
joe61

Hey Prince...thanks for your speedy reply!

Regarding the search parameters under options > device > search,  everything is ticked...it should be checking everything, but it appears that it's either NOT checking saved files within the phone, or NOT checking the phone at all since it only gives results for Bing and Extended Search.

As far as the original message informing me of the new OS, I thought it came through BB AppWorld...you know, how they send out notices when there's an update to an app. I did think it was odd, especially when seeing the update was from China Unicom. but when I googled China Unicom I saw they were mentioned in Crackberry and thought it was ok. In any case, the notification is no longer in my "Messages" folder. I will have to revert back to previous OS or at least see what my carrier's most recent OS is...I really can't work without the Uni-Search.

Thanks,

Joe

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Hi joe61

If you had already Updated your device then no need to downgrade your OS ,Every Update improves device performance.

Regarding your problem with your search option please try as I mentioned already ,If you don't want to see any suggestions from BING or Google then Under Options > Device > Search > just UNTICK or UNCHECK " Show Web Suggestion " field ,then save it.

And if you don't want to the see  Extended Search option on your device then Options > Device > Search > Scroll down to " Extended Provider " and UNcheck or UNtick all field within Extended Provider option.

And within that screen the most important is DATA SOURCES  you can UNtick those field that you don't want to be seen when using Universal search .

Inaddition to help you please go through this Article from Help Blog regarding how to use Universal Search on your BlackBerry devices: How to use Universal Search .Go through it and let us know if you feel any problem.

Prince

New Contributor
joe61

Thanks again for taking your time to reply.

My problem is NOT seeing Bing or Web results...I see them and it's fine that it shows them. I'm looking for data ON THE PHONE that I received through email and saved into a file somewhere (I'm not a real techy kind of guy). It doesn't seem to be searching the phone...ONLY BING AND WEB!

Again, an email comes in with an Excel attachment containg 10 addresses. I download and SAVE the attachment. Now let's say the address is 123 Main St. When I hit the Universal Search icon and type in 123 Main St., all it gives me is Bing and Web results. It looks like it's not searching the phone, although I have everything ticked off in my Search settings. IT WORKED BEFORE...it's just not working now, with the new OS.

I depend heavily on this feature, but no answer from @BlackberryHelp and countless searches on the web have produced nothing. You're the only one that has answered me anywhere. Am I the only one with this problem?

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

are you sure, as far as I know the universal search can search for filenames, not file content.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: