Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
Ms_SoSo
My Device: Bold 9780, OS6, Bundle 2475 (v6.0.0.546, Platform 6.6.0.207)
My Carrier: Du
Accepted Solution

New key code

Hello,

I upgraded my BBM to Version 8 with Channels via Beta Zone because they sent me an email. I was please with the last version 7.0.0.130 so I thought why not? Anyway, U downloaded the new version and although I love the new look & layout it drains my battery more quickly than before & makes my phone so laggy. I was able to find an OTA link to the previous version 7.0.0.130, downloaded it & successfully installed it, however after rebooting my phone & launching BBM the program is asking for the key code. Unfortunately, I didn't save the email from Beta Zone with the key code when I orginally downloaded this version. Since I downloaded this time from a link other than Beta Zone I didn't get an email with another code.So basically I have BBM but I can't use it until I get another code generated. I've sent 2 emails to Beta Zone explaining the situation & requesting a new code be generated using my PIN but no response. How can I get another code? Please help me :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: New key code

Hello,

For the production version of BBM, you should need no key code...what I would deduce is that you didn't actually fully remove v8 from your BB, and something is now left behind from it. Please fully remove it:

• KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on the BlackBerry smartphone

Then do a batt-pull reboot of your BB. Then obtain the production BBM version from AppWorld (or, via your BB browser, from www.blackberry.com/messenger).

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ms_SoSo

Thank you for your reply. The problem is the country I live in doesn't support BBM 7 at all. I was able to find a work around to install it so I can't dowload via app world. As far as uninstalling V 8 I did but I didn't  do a hard battery pull. I made a backup before uninstalling. Let's just say I'm in a reall mess. 1) I made a backup (with the newly downloaded 7.0.0.130 installed) 2) Uninstalled BBM altogether (this was advice from technical support via telephone) 3) Rebooted 4) Downloaded 7.0.0.130 again (as per the same technical advice) 5) Rebooted again 6) Tried to launch BBM because the tech guy on the phone said that if I uninstall then download & reinstall again it shouldn't ask for the code but guess what? It did ask so I restored a the backup, downloaded V8 & now I'm just dealing with it. I'm afraid to do what you said fearing it will happen again i.e. ask for this key :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ms_SoSo wrote:

The problem is the country I live in doesn't support BBM 7 at all.

Sorry, but given that, I am going to have to back away...I am reluctant to help folks try to do things that are not allowed as per their local restrictions.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ms_SoSo

Please don't get me wrong. It's not that they don't allow us to use BBM 7. They just disabled the voice. For this reason the country isn't listed on the "Supported Countries" list this is why I download via app world. Originally it worked with the voice but they quickly remedied that. Many people here have still use BBM 7 without the voice options as it has new smileys :smileyhappy: Just don't want you to think I'm doing something illegal. I never used the voice. Didn't have to. By the way I'm American so this will work if I ever go back to USA :smileyhappy: Thanx for your help & please don't have the wrong idea about me.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK thank you, that's much more clear. My apologies for misunderstanding your earlier words.

Given what you've described, my next recommendations would be to first review the backup link from my auto-sig on this post...the next things I will recommend will be quite destructive, and you'll need to prepare by having a truly full and complete backup ready.

Let me know when you've got that all completed.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ms_SoSo

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for trying to help me. I have good news! I was able to delete BBM altogether, do a battery pull, download the "official" BBM 7.0.1.23 release, do another battery pull (just to be sure) & it installed beautifully without any problems or asking for key codes *dances* :smileyhappy: Take care :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent! Indeed, that sounds rather exactly like what I recommended in post 2 above. I'm glad that it finally worked for you. Enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.